I Just Spent $180 for a DVD

I got my income tax refund and decided to splurge. Donated $180 to the IRE fund and should be receiving the limited edition of Koyaanisqatsi, with digitally remastered audio and video, signed by Godfrey Reggio soon.

I do this every year as a one time splurge for myself. Last year was the 7 CD set of Aus Den Sieben Tagen by Karlheinz Stockhausen which I’ve wanted for years.

Doesn’t take much to make me happy. :wink:

It is good to splurge once in a while–I thought I was when I laid out 40 bucks for the special edition of “This Is Spinal Tap” (not the Criterion, but the one that came out in '98 or so), but I have nothing on you.

If it’s worth it to you, do it. Another thought, I like to pretend that I am a fairly intelligent lover of film… but, of the two films you mentioned, I’m clueless.

Sir Rhosis

Man, I REALLY don’t want to burst your bubble, but I believe the Criterion came out in 98, and is the expensive one. I just bought the SE for $19 the other day.

Either way, the disc is truly worth $40.

Back to the topic, I have considered paying the $100 asking price on eBay for the Willy Wonka DVD. Probably won’t do it, though. I’m just not that hardcore.

I may be wrong, am too lazy to go look. Let me describe the disk I have. It has commentary tracks by the three leads, and Rob Reiner and a couple producers, has the original short film made as a demo, and several hours of outtakes. This is the one I have. And I agree, it was worth 40 bucks, but I come from the hard-scrabble school, and still feel guilt if I don’t pick up pennies laying on the ground whether they’re heads up or not.

Another version of the DVD was (I thought, recently) released with commentary by the three leads, albeit in their Spinal Tap personas. This is the one that I don’t have.

Sir Rhosis

You have the Criterion, the one that’s rare and worth $40. Congratulations.

I’m glad you actually bought the DVD, Euty. It feels good to splurge every now and then. Of course, I’m poor so splurging for me is a $20 book so what do I know?

Eut, how 'bout a mini-review of the DVD when you see it? I’ve loved the movie ever since I saw it in a semi-altered state about 12 years ago. But $180 is a helluva splurge!

In my case, I just bought the Best of Alfred Hitchcock Collections 1 & 2. Each contains 9 movies from his mid to late periods (from Shadow of a Doubt to Family Plot). Talk about movie-geek heaven. I dread my next credit card statement.

Re: Criterion This is Spinal Tap.
If you check out some of the auctions on ebay, you’ll see that people are willing to pay a whole lot more than $40 for this edition. The most I saw was $120.

Cheers,
Hodge

Eut, how 'bout a mini-review of the DVD when you see it? I’ve loved the movie ever since I saw it in a semi-altered state about 12 years ago. But $180 is a helluva splurge!

In my case, I just bought the Best of Alfred Hitchcock Collections 1 & 2. Each contains 9 movies from his mid to late periods (from Shadow of a Doubt to Family Plot). Talk about movie-geek heaven. I dread my next credit card statement.

Re: Criterion This is Spinal Tap.
If you check out some of the auctions on ebay, you’ll see that people are willing to pay a whole lot more than $40 for this edition. The most I saw was $120.

Cheers,
Hodge

So…can I borrow it?

hehehe

Aus den Sieben Tagen by Stockhausen is not a movie. Perhaps Eutychus55 can explain, but from what I’ve read about it in articles I’m under the impression that it’s an extended poetry reading set to music? I’m eager to know more.

P.S. Eutychus, what’s the “IRE” fund?

Don’t do it.

There is a really cool 30[sup]th[/sup] Anniversary Edition coming soon.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Arnold Winkelried *

I’m not Eutychus, but in case he doesn’t see this, I’ll take a crack. IRE stands for Institute for Regional Education, a non-profit organization involved in soliciting funds for the makers of Koyaanisqatsi.

Apparently, the film has been in legal limbo for several years, and the steep price that Eut paid is intended to help offset some of the legal costs incurred by the filmmakers in their fight to regain the rights to their film. I think it’s a masterpiece and wish them well in their fight.

Here’s their Official Site.

Cheers,
Hodge

Correctamundo, Hodge. I’ll also post a review when it comes in.

Arnold, Aus den Sieben Tagen (From the Seven Days) isn’t poetry, nor is it music in the traditional sense. Stockhausen (a composer of electronic music from the musique concrete school) got into a profound depression and locked himself away for seven days, eventually coming up with “texts” for improvisation of what he called “intuitive music.” It’s a rather acquired taste, as is most of Stockhausen’s work. To give an example of the texts that he used for the improvisations, the complete text for the piece Nachtmusik (Night Music) reads thusly :

[Edited by Eutychus55 on 03-05-2001 at 03:47 PM]

droooooooooooooool

I thought Euty left the word “player” off the OP. Guess not. Enjoy! You deserve it.

Koyaanisqatsi is incredible. The music director at the KY Governor’s Scholars Program when I was there (and when I later worked there) was a big fan of Phillip Glass, so he always showed it as part of their film series. Enjoy.

I had my big splurge this week, too–I spent $150 on a set of Cups and Balls (the magic trick). I spend enough time playing around with my cheapo aluminum set that I thought I could move up to the precision-machined, perfectly weighted, solid brass version. Besides, I’m going to start performing at festivals and such this summer, so I can make it back!

Dr. J