I lost my job today...

My company, a major utility company, is going through a financial hardship. So, they announce that they will implement a “cost savings initiative”. Sure, they may call it Sustained Earnings Improvement, but you know what it really means - somebody is getting shitcanned. Well, that somebody turned out to be me.

I’m happily working along, when the boss-man calls me into his office. “Shut the door,” he tells me. Uh-oh. Not a good sign. So yeah, I’m laid off. Great. The job market has gone to hell in a handbasket, AND I’m a web developer. My chances of being swiftly re-employed somewhere are pretty shitty. Damn damn damn.

No severance pay, none. I’m a single parent with a 7 year old son. I get no child support payments from his asshole father. My savings are pretty slim. But the best is yet to come…

My last day? Christmas Eve. Merry frickin’ Christmas.:rolleyes:

So they tell you that you’re laid off and offer no severance pay, but they expect you to work for another two weeks? That’s cold. I’d use the next two weeks to look for another job on company time, if I were you. And be willing to start immediately, even if it’s before Christmas. You didn’t say where you were from, but you might try www.computerjobs.com as a starting place.

Good luck, and I’m sorry to hear about that.

That sucks! I’m sorry to hear that, good luck in the job hunt.

That just sucks. I’m so sorry to hear that.
Good luck finding new employment. Hang in there…

Dang! Merry Christmas to you, eh? :frowning:

Wishing you much luck in the job hunt.

www.oddtodd.com

It’s a series of animations about being laid off. They’re very funny, in a “jeez that’s so true” sort of way. Oh, you need your sound turned on, there’s narraration.

Sending all the warm thoughts I can your way Jay-C.

Sorry to hear about it…I’ve been laid off a few times in my career as well, and didn’t like it a bit.

Best of luck.

{{jay-c}}

That’s cold. :frowning: