I love fruitcake! I don't care who knows!

On the way down to Florida, traversing Georgia, every other road sign advertises the “Pecan Plantations”, hawking their famous pecan rolls and Claxton Fruitcake. It’s ubiquitous down Floridy way, but I’ve never tried it? Anybody ever eaten Claxton Fruitcake?

The soaked-in-liquor for months thing has never impressed me. It just seems a way to cover up a second-rate fruitcake. A first-rate fruitcake, with quality ingredients, can stand on its own without the liquor bath.

I’ve been nibbling on, er, testing one of them. They’re nice.

Clax Snax- individually wrapped snack slices of claxton fruitcake for your convenience. Excellent workout powerbar… very nutritionally dense and natural.

I’m still nibbling. I’ll buy some rum tomorrow and begin anointing them.

My whole family likes the fruitcake my mother makes. However, the ratio of candied fruit has been gradually increasing each Christmas to the point that this year the fruitcakes were basically fruit held together by a thin mortar of cake.

The Collin Street Bakery in Corsicana, Texas, makes excellent fruit cake. Plus several other pecan-based cakes. You can order online!

I haven’t seen any for a few years now. I used like it!

Eh? Did you stop making it?

Here’s the old standard recipe from the New Settlement Cookbook:
http://homecooking.about.com/od/cakerecipes/r/blc39.htm

I make it every couple years. It’s good, but pretty Calorie intensive.
If you make two loaves, you can store one in the freezer til Easter or the 4th of July.

Isn’t there a company/bakery somewhere in Georgia that makes most of the country’s fruit cakes?

They sell them at the gas station near my house. If I remember, I’ll check the brand.

I still buy homemade ones from the Christmas markets. I recently discovered the light ones (white instead of brown) and they are so delish!

Napa? O’Reilly? Delco?

Moving to Cafe Society from GQ.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

I liked it, but grew sensitive to the sulfiting agents used to maintain the artificial colors in some of the fruit.

SanDiegoTim, you’re thinking of the Collin Street Bakery in Texas. I have one of their cakes sitting in my kitchen (although I didn’t purchase it myself.)

Or the Claxton Fruitcake Company, from Claxton, Georgia (www.claxtonfruitcake.com) I grew up just down the road from this factory, and have no idea whether the cake is even edible, but it’s ubiquitous in stores around here from about Halloween through New Years Day.

I’ve merged zeno’s thread (posts 48-58) into the existing fruitcake thread.

Huh, nothing.
I always thought that the superimposition of two fruitcake threads would result in cataclysmic detonation.
Guess I was wrong about that.