I love this British shit and I move move to England!

Me too. Great show. I periodically rewatch the famous “Private Browsing” segment just to watch Dara O Briain and Ed Byrne completely lose their shit laughing at each other.

Like the OP, I also enjoy British shows and now that summer’s here and there’s little to watch on the US broadcast channels, I decided to bite the bullet and subscribe to Britbox.

So anyone want to offer recommendations of good stuff on this streaming service?

I got hooked on those when I was living in England. Cheese and onion on baps is good too. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Another one: I don’t know if it’s currently available but I would recommend the series Uncle starring comedian Nick Helm.

What they call that might not be what you call that.

A cheese and pickle sandwich in the UK will be cheddar cheese (more mature the better), and Branstons pickle, which is a sweet and sour chutney type. I don’t know if people in the US call that pickle, but it’s what is being referred to in Morse.

And frankly it’s lovely. I do think it’s not a quirky brit thing which only we’d like. It is genuinely lovely.

Has anyone upthread mentioned Dave Allen? Irish comedian from a few years back, so strictly he wasn’t British, but Irish, but very popular on TV back in the day. I’ve been watching some of his monologues on Youtube, the one called “Is Ed in?” talking about his son’s friends, is sheer joy.

I prefer piccalilli. But I’ll take Branston’s if that’s all there is.

My memory of this (and I think I’ve eaten it once total) is that Branstons is sweet and pickley, and piccalilli more sour. But like I said, I’ve eaten it once.

Damn. Will have to buy the real stuff now. I used American cheese and sliced dill pickle. The character’s wife also makes a fish paste sandwich that sounds nice.

The key thing about piccalilli is that it’s a mustard pickle (with the vegetables diced very small) - and fiery English mustard at that. You can get sweetened versions. It’s not difficult to make (though it also involves turmeric, which will stain anything within sight, and it’s a bit of a pain to keep stirring it till the liquid thickens).

Hmmmm. I could see this working in a grilled cheese sandwich, but not in one served cold. I’ll have to try it sometime.

(Do you use tangy dill or dill and garlic?)

I found the best pickle and cheese sandwiches were made with baps (soft buns). You should also try a Ploughman’s Lunch some time:

I’m surprised to see they now include meat and eggs. The ones I had 40+ years ago were mostly bread, cheese, and Branston pickle. A Ploughman’s must be accompanied by some kind of beer.

That’s from a jar, and by no means a culinary highlight of UK cuisine.

I’ve never seen a jar of “fish paste” at the supermarket. Is it anything like pickled herring?

No, it’s a paste. It comes in a number of varieties (e.g.,tuna, salmon, anchovy). You just spread it on bread and add whatever else you want. I don’t think you can make fish paste salad, and I really wouldn’t want to try.

The pastes I have in my cupboard come in tins and tubes, rather than jars.

I’ll have to check on Amazon. :man_cook:

Amazon has Anchovette, the brand of fish paste that’s commonly found in South Africa.

I grew up with it. Absolutely delicious on warm toast with plenty of butter!

Order placed!

You might want to find out where the nearest supermarket is to you that does British foods. You might be able to buy Branston pickle and piccalilli there. The supermarket half a mile from me does the food of various countries. It may well be quite a drive for you, so perhaps you can order it online.

Oh, yeah. Dave’s been mentioned. My favorite line of his:

I still think of myself as I was 25 years ago. Then I look in a mirror and see an old bastard and realize it’s me.

Where do you live? I have no trouble finding Branston’s pickle.