I need a chocolate cake recipe.

Not just a chocolate cake recipe, but one that will produce one of those heavy, rich, dense cakes that you have to saw through like it’s a salami. If someone can give me a specific recipe, that’d be great, but failing that, I’d just like to know what such a cake is called, so I can do a search. Thanks in advance!

Do you mean a flourless chocolate cake? I don’t know about the salami thing, but they’re damned rich.

No, not quite. The kind of cake I’m thinking of is sometimes offered in restaurants as a dessert. Very dense, and gummed together by an equally dense frosting. It doesn’t make crumbs to speak of; you dig your fork into it, one chunk at a time.

But thank you for the recipe anyway!

Guinness chocolate Cake turns out like that - almost like cake-fudge? It also gets better after a day or so. I use Nigella’s, but Rhode’s is also good.Merkinized version here of Nigella’s recipe

The River Cafe make something called Choclate Nemesis - can be found in one of their cookbooks, or I found this recipe on the web (:

Serves 10 - 12

You need:
675g dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
450g unsalted butter
10 eggs
675g caster sugar
Crème fraiche, to serve

Method:

Preheat oven to 160 degrees C. Line a 27cm spring form pan with foil. Place the chocolate and butter in bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until melted. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

Place eggs and sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric beater for five minutes until thickened. Fold the cooled chocolate mixture into egg mixture stirring until well combined and reduced in volume.

Pour into the prepared pan, then place in a large baking tray and pour boiling water into the tray to come halfway up the sides. Bake in the over for one hour. Turn off the oven and leave to cool completely in the oven. Serve thin slices of the cake with a dollop of crème fraiche.

Thank you for the contributions, although they’re not quite what I was looking for. (I will try that Guinness cake at some point, however!)

Anyone else want to have at it?

My favorite:

2c sugar
1 and 3/4 c all purpose flour
3/4 c Cocoa - dark chocolate or Hershey’s
1 and 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder

2 eggs
1 cup milk - whole works best
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c boiling water

Heat oven to 35o degres

Grease and flour two 9 x 1 and 1/2 inch pans or rectangular pan 13x9x2

In large mixing bowl: combine dry ingredients.

Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat with mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes

Remove mixer; STIR in boiling water which makes batter thin

Pour into prepared pans and bake 30 to 35 minutes for round or 35-40 minutes for rectangluar. Test for doneness with wooden toothpick in center - should come out clean ie no crumbs or batter

Cool ten mintues; remove from pans. Cool completely before icing.

One Bowl Buttercream frosting:

6Tbs of butter softened [you can use margarine with less spectacular results]

Cocoa: 1/3 c for light flavor
1/2 c for medium flavor
3/2 for deep, dark, delicious flavor

2 and 2/3 c confectioner’s sugar

1/3 cup whole milk

1 tsp vanilla extract

In small mixing bowl - crean butter
Add cocoa and sugar alternately with milk; beat to spreading consistency [add more milk slowly if necessary but generally it is not needed]. Blend in vanila.
Makes about two cups
This is a Hershey’s Cocoa recipe but is equally delicious with other cocoa powders.

Mmmmm…Now that sounds like what I’m getting at! Thank you!

Just a check ---- should that last number have been 2/3 instead of 3/2?

From Martha Stewart:

Velvet chocolate cake

I’ve had alot of success with:

One Bowl chocolate Cake*

Ingredients:

Butter for pans
1.5 cups unsweetned cocoa powder, plus more for pans.
3 cups of all purpose flour
3 cups sugar
1 table spoon of baking soda
1.5 teaspoon of baking powder
1.5 teaspoon of salt
3 large eggs
1.5 cups buttermilk (this is the key ingredient.)
1.5 hot cup of water
3/4 cup of vegetable oil
1.5 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract ( not imitation.)
Parchment/baking paper.

Preheat oven to 350.

Butter 2 8 x 2 inch round cake pans (line with parchment paper if you have it. It helps considerably.)

Mix **coca, flour,baking powder salt. **

On low, mix in **eggs, buttermilk, hotwater, oil and vanilla. Beat until smooth (about two minutes.)

Bake 45 minutes for above cake pan size.
25min for cupcakes.

Allow to cool at least 20 minutes, remove then frost as desired.

A chocolate snob’s conviction:
*The success with any thing is in the ingredients. Hershey’s is not top quality. it’s for peasants, like you and me. Pay a little more and get Ghiradelli, Godiva, Scharfenberger (?), to name a few. Even Baker’s Square baking chocolate is better. The better quality of ingrediens, the richer the taste.

FYI: Canned frosting is to jack up kids for a party. It is the devil made by the ADA.
A lesser force of pure evil and quite delicious is:

Swiss Meringue Buttercream

1 pound ( 4 sticks) of unsalted butter ( room temp.)
1.5 cups of sugar
6 large egg whites
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.

1. Beat butter in mixer with paddle attachment until fluffy and pale; transfer to bowl.

2. Combine sugar and egg whites in clean mixer bowl & whisk. set bowl over simmering water, whisk until sugar is completely dissolved. ( about 3 minutes.)

3. Transfer the bowl to the mixer stand. Using the whisker attachment, beat mixture on medium speed until fluffy and cooled. Increase the speed to high until the mixture has stiff peaks. Reduce speed to medium low and add the butter 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in vanilla and put on paddle attachment to beat at lowest speed 3-5 minutes.

Leave at room temperature if using the same day. Refrigerate in airtight container up to 3 days. Bring to room temp and beat until smooth.
(food coloring can be added to this.)

You might want to try making the frosting with chocolate, rather than cocoa. More fat, much richer. I have switched recently, to much aclaim.

1/2 bag chocolate chips, or equal amount real semi-sweet chocolate
1 stick butter
confectioner’s sugar
vanilla
milk

I melt the butter and chocolate together on the warm part of the stove while the cake is baking, but you could melt them in the microwave, too. Once you have them melted and mixed, add the sugar slowly and beat it. Keep adding until it is the texture/consistency you want. Add a bit of vanilla for flavor at the end. Add milk if you get it too stiff.

Easy, and damn good.

The dense and chewy frosting is probably ganache. Basically melted dark chocolate with a couple tablespoons of heavy cream, spread or poured over the finished cake.

You know, if Martha Stewart is calling for coca, she’s damn lucky she hasn’t had more legal problems. :wink:

I’m probably late for this, but my version of a deep dark chocolate cake follows. It is very rich, very dark, and delciously sinful. And has, on occasion, been called almost as good as sex.

150g fine chocolate – preferably 72% dark chocolate
75g shelled, chopped hazlenuts
30g butter
2.5 tablespoons double cream
5 eggs, seperated
3 tablespoons caster sugar
75g plain four
25g cocoa powder – organic cocoa powder works very well
A dash of orange/raspberry liqueur (if you fancy it) or a dash of vanilla essense.

A shallow spring clip base cake tin, or a deep tart tin with a tight fitting removable base, 20cm in diameter.

Method:

Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4

Break the chocolate into small chunks, trying not to eat any of it, and melt over a pan of simmering water.

Meanwhile roast the hazlenuts in the oven slightly, till they’re golden brown.

When the chocolate has melted, stir in the butter until it melts, and the cream. Remove from the heat.

Beat the egg whites till they stand in peaks, and fold the sugar into this using a metal spoon.

Stir the egg yolks quickly into the chocolate, butter and cream mix. Fold the flour, cocoa, and hazlenuts into this. Fold the egg whites and egg mixture into this. There should be no streaks of white, and the mixture should be light and airy – rather like an unset chocolate mousse.

Pour all of it into the tin, and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes – the outer edges of the cake should be firm, and the middle should be wobbly, it’ll have a gooey creamy centre.

Let it cool for about 10 minutes, and remove the tin. Dust with cooca powder if you want, and dish up. Serve in small slices (its very rich), whilst still warm, with either cream, creme fraiche, or ice cream (Bailey’s ice cream works very well – you have Bonzer to thank for that suggestion – it really works!).