I need a word or phrase to replace 'contextualized'.

I’m working on my thesis proposal, and for some reason, my supervisor doesn’t like the word ‘contextualized’, at least in the way I’ve used it. Can you help me find an alternative? Here’s the sentance:

“Data gathered from both the literature review and the interviews will be contextualized to inform the content of the mail in survey.”

:slight_smile:

I think using smaller words in place of it would be better, like:

“Data gathered from both the literature review and the interviews will be used in context to inform the content of the mail in survey.”

I was going to say “put in context”.

But you might also want to clean up “to inform the content of the mail in survey”. That leaves me wondering the hell you’re talking about. It’s at least missing one particle, but probably more.

Also, “mail-in survey” would make far more sense than “mail in survey”.

Thanks for the speedy responses! And yes, I caught the hypen there, thanks!

“Data gathered from both the literature review and the interviews will be used in context to…(create? populate?) the content of the survey.”

I have to think on this one a bit…

I doubt if the objection is to the use of the word “contextualized” as such, but rather the fact that your intended meaning is not very clear, probably because you have actually misused the word. I am going to guess that what you really meant to say was “Data gathered from both the literature review and the interviews will be used to contextualize the results of the mail-in survey.” I have a feeling your supervisor will not have any problem with that, but if s/he still does (if they really have some weird hangup about the verb to contextualize), maybe replace it with “to inform the interpretation of” or something like that.

The way you originally have it, it appears that the data mentioned at the beginning is somehow going to be put in the context of something (unspecified) and that that process will, in some unexplained way, inform (does that mean explain? interpret? contextualize? clarify?) the survey results.

I would also suggest that although your survey results are data, what you get from your interviews, and especially what you get from your literature review, might better be called information, or perhaps insights.

Awesome, thanks! It appears that my meaning is ambiguous the way I have that sentance written. I am using dominant-sequential mixed methods for my research, so will be conducting the lit review and interviews first, do preliminary data analysis, and then from that, I will be creating the survey content (which is what I meant by ‘inform’).

I currently have it written as ‘Data gathered from both the literature review and the interviews will be aggregated and utilized to create the content of the survey’, but that might still be unclear.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the help.

No, not that! That makes it sound as though you are planning to falsify your survey data! “Content” of the survey could mean the results (that is what I thought you meant by it before, certainly). I guess what you intend to say is that the lit review and interview results will be used to inform the creation of the survey items or questions. If that is it, that is what you say (and “contextualize” was indeed the wrong word). “Content of the survey” is unnecessarily vague.

Wonderful, thank you so much!

I think it’s been mentioned earlier at least implicitly, but I don’t think you can use anything, even data gathered from a literature review and from interviews, to inform a mail in survey, as the mail in survey can’t do anything with the information you give it. You inform a person, or at the very least a computer or something capable of acting on input.

Can you say something simple like “Data gathered from both the literature review and the interviews will be used to help develop the content of the mail-in survey”?

Yes, that’s essentially what I’ve changed it to now.

We’ll see what my reviewers and supervisor say! :slight_smile:

Hope it works out and they don’t request something like:

“Essential inputs acquired from a concatenation of the literature review and the interviews will be optimally leveraged to provide key context indicators for the mail based channel subject feedback mechanism.” :stuck_out_tongue: