Hello dopers…constant lurker here…this is my 2nd started thread, the other one being the ask the National Spelling Bee Champ from a couple months ago.
I am in need of some advice regarding what MAY be a pending job offer.
As background, I currently work for a temp agency. The temp agency keeps over half of the pay from the company I work for and I am left with the remainder. I state this not to complain, just to show that I am capable of handling jobs that command reasonably high pay.
I am going to try to keep this as brief as possible to avoid tldr.
Currently I make $12 an hour. This is sufficient to pay my bills, but I live very cheaply and can not think about dating, moving to a better place, etc. So while I do want to improve my position, I am not in a situation of having to take a job immediately.
Recently I had a job interview. I think it went very well, it lasted 2 hours on a Friday afternoon from 4-6pm. I believe I will hear back from them later this week.
The posted job salary was $28,000-$34,000. This is probably in line with my market value (I have a non-business degree, have good work experience, no red flags, the right answers to the tough questions).
Compensation was not discussed during the interviews. On the post-interview application I stated $32,000 as desired salary. Upon sleeping on it, while I would be satisfied with that salary in the near future, I am not sure I would want to be making that 5 years from now.
The problem is that the company is very small (~15 people). The lady who would be my direct supervisor worked in my position for 7 years. So, I cannot expect there will be any chances for promotion.
TLDR - I’m worth about 28-34, the job seems fine, it would be a significant raise for me (discretionary income would go from around $200 a month to $700 a month) but I think I could get that elsewhere
So am I stupid for not just taking the money? Or am I stupid for taking the money and possibly locking myself into a dead end $32k job until I start looking again?
As a possible compromise, if offered the job should I ask the policy towards raises and say “If there are no raises or promotions I want to start at 36.”?
It’s tough. Usually I can figure out decisions like this on my own, but given the importance and uncertainties I would like your guys advice if you would be kind of enough to give it.