I need help finding a sports jersey I saw today

Snowboarder Bo:

Don’t they, though? My personal favorite is the Florida Everblades.

On the other hand, I think it’s lazy when a team takes something non-ice-related and just add “Ice” to the beginning to make it more “hockey-ish.” The Austin Ice Bats come to mind as an example.

Yes.

What’s the point of wearing a what sounds like an horrendous shirt of a team that you don’t even know?

I have a Solar Bears jersey (I lived in Orlando when the team was first started for the IHL) but not an Everblades one (yet).

Sometimes the “ice” additions is cool; for instance, I like the Rockford IceHogs.

My all-time favorite is the Macon Whoopee.

Did you snag a Tigersharks jersey while you were here? I know they only lasted a few years and might not have overlapped with your time in Tally.

There’s a good long story that starts with the Nashville South Stars in 1981…

In 1983 the team became the Virginia Lancers. In 1990 they turned into the Roanoke Valley Rebels only to be renamed for the next season as the Roanoke Valley Rampage. In 1993 they turned into the Huntsville Blast and in 1994 (a year after I left Tally) they became the Tallahassee Tiger Sharks. So no, I missed them.

When the Tiger Sharks left Tally, they became the Macon Whoopee for 1 season.

Then they moved to Lexington, KY and became the Men O’ War for 1 season.

In 2005 the franchise resurfaced as the Utah Grizzlies, which is where they remain today.

If you’re interested, I’ll look around and see if I still have an extra one. If so, I’d be happy to send it to you.

Since the 1990s there has been an explosion in marketing of minor league teams and now they often have fun and creative names and color combinations.

But I find th logos themselves to be very disappointing.

There’s a kind of sameness to them all in style, as if they had all been done by the same designer.

And there is also a kind of bland cleanness sort of characteristic they share. I suspect that it’s because they’re digital instead of hand-drawn.

One of the best examples for me is the original Washington Nationals logo — Washington Nationals Primary Logo - National League (NL) - Chris Creamer's Sports Logos Page - SportsLogos.Net — it’s very generic in feel. Hate it.

A lot of the minor league graphics share this generic quality in my view.

Of course I hate the “Nationals” nickname too, but that’s a different issue.

IceHogs is a cool name, but then you have the other end of the spectrum with the Evansville IceMen. Someone thought long and hard coming up with that name. Logo’s kind of neat though. http://evansvilleicemen.com/

I hope you find out where that jersey came from. I keep checking back to see if there’s been any updates. My hometown team the Fort Wayne Komets had a jersey a couple years ago with flames around the bottom and up the sleeves but it had the normal fireball logo in the middle. Cannot for the life of me find a picture of it.

A while back, as I’ve posted on this board before, my town had the Lubbock Cotton Kings. I loved the old logo, then they changed it to a generic sticks-over-shield thing.

For baseball, we at one time had the Lubbock Crickets, which is humorously appropriate, what with the Lubbock/Buddy Holly connection and all.

Dude, that is some mean looking cotton!

Wanted to add: the unfortunate thing is, a lot of these little minor-league teams have “special event” jerseys that might have extremely limited availability for only a short time. For instance, the Cotton Kings once came out with a Halloween jersey. I know that at games I saw Christmas and Millennium jerseys as well. And some pop up that I’ve never even seen, like a car-racing-themed one on eBay.

So, if it was one of those, you might have an uphill battle to find the one you’re looking for. Finding the logo would get you to the right team, at least, and then you can go from there.

CHL teams were great with turning out alternate jerseys.

You know who would be a good reference for you? Uni-watch

They are all about jersey looks and logos and they have a pretty lively comments section. I bet if you comment on there (anonymous and really easy) they would be able to find it for you. Hell, Paul himself might get in on the action and make a big thing of it