I need help selecting a wine.

On February 15th I will be going to a wine tasting event. It’s at our church and is always held just before Lent starts, kind of a party before the penance you might say.

We also have munchies. It can be almost anything, although people tend to bring cheeses, with crackers, and savory finger foods. I’ll be making spanokapita, a Greeky thing with spinach, feta and onion wrapped up in filo pastry.

So I should bring a Greek wine, right? Except I know very little about wine selection, and Greek? Nada.

So can Dopers advise me? I don’t think it would be a good idea to have a wine that was too strong in flavor, or clashed too much with my dish though.

Just about any wine will go with spanakopita. It’s very versatile.

I’m not sure where you live, but a Greek wine may be hard to find. They definitely make wine - very good wine, in fact - but it’s not something most people are looking for.

Your best bet for that wine, or any wine really, is to find a local wine shop and go and ask for what you want. Don’t go to a general liquor store; find one that specializes in wine. They’ll help you find a good wine that will go well with whatever you’re eating, in your price range.

I’m not a wine expert but I know what I like. I would probably pair spanikopita with a white wine, probably a pino grigio because it is not too sweet. Greek wine sounds pretty specialty, and I would not think there would be pressure to make the wine Greek.

There are at least two liquor stores in the area that have good specialty sections. I can go to them and ask for advice as well, but I asked here because Dopers wouldn’t be trying to just make a sale.

I’d recommend a viognier.

If they’re good wine stores, they won’t be just trying to make a sale, either; they’ll be trying to win a repeat customer.

It’s also pretty hard to recommend wines over the Internet; the world of wine is huge and varied, importing liquor is a state-by-state thing, and just because I can buy wine <x> at my local store doesn’t mean your store will have it, or even that it’s available in your area and/or state.

That said, there is a Greek wine called “Chloe” that’s pretty good. I unfortunately don’t know much more about it other than that - I had a bottle a while ago and the name sticks in my head. Also, Boutari is an old and respected Greek winery; I’d say that would be a good bet as well.

Non-Greek wines that you can probably find almost anywhere that would work are Rhones made by Guigal. Nice and fruity, will work with spanakopita. Heck, just about any decent wine will go well with it.

Have you ever had Rhoditis?
Very good, inexpensive Greek wine.
One word of caution - the quality can vary, ask your wine shop for a decent one.

My wine guy is very good at matching preferences to price point.

I’d advise going to the shop, describing the food, and asking for a wine that will knock their socks off, “15-25” or a wine that won’t embarrass you, “10-20,” or whatever your equation.

Pino grigio, viognier, and Greek white wine are all good suggestions.

Or just look for MiP Rose, it’s fantastic and a little different.

Food & Wine’s take on the best new Greek wines. (No idea, how new is ‘new.’ Still, it’s a starting point.) The ones with an assertive acid backbone, and some lemony flavors, like the GAI’A Nótios White, sound like the best match for something like spanokapita. The tasting sounds delicious!

My favorite Greek white is Moschilfero (Mos-KIL-fer-o). It’s light and fruity, but has more dimension and interest than a Pinot Grigio. Not expensive, either.

Some good red choices, although they’re a bit bold and heavy, are Mavrodaphne and Xynomavro. Both are delicious and great with food or without.
Cheers!
Jerry Greenfield
Author of “Secrets of the Wine Whisperer”

Welcome to the Straight Dope, winewhisperer!

Yes, thanks for the recommendations!

You could always bring a bottle of ouzo.