I need new books! help!

Hey guys, I’m nearing the end of Kurt Vonnegut’s “Slaughter House Five” and I want to order 3 books from Amazon to get into after I’m done reading.

I need these books…

1. your favourite science fiction novel

2. a book thats disturbing/scary to read

3. and the one book you think everyone should own in their collection

In case people will post it, no Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy btw :wink:

1. Sci-fi? Depends what you’ve read. Dune; Ender’s Game; Foundation Trilogy+I, Robot - all classics. Cyberpunk like Neuromancer and Snow Crash - modern classics. Read any one of these if you haven’t yet…

2. Book that is disturbing/scary - A Handmaid’s Tale, by Atwood - it is sci-fi-ish, too…

3. Book everyone should have - To Kill a Mockingbird.

1. So many to choose from, but I’ll pick Reply by Ken Grimwood.

2. Scary: The M.D., A Tale of Terror by Thomas M. Disch

3. Everyone should have: The Sot-Weed Factor by John Barth. The great American novel. :slight_smile:

[caveat]This list may change at a moment’s notice[/caveat]

1. Sparrow, by Mary Doria Russell

2. The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark, by Carl Sagan

3. The Sun Also Rises, by Ernest Hemingway

1984 by George Orwell… appropriate for all three.

Sci-fi? so very many. william gibson, neuromancer

scary? is scaryish ok? American Gods by gaiman

just good? Lamb by Chris moore

cc

list subject to change without notice

Cat’s Cradle would be a good choice if you want to keep in the Vonnegut vein.

Sci-Fi: Hyperion

Scary: Animal Farm and/or 1984

Just good: Ender’s Game (which is also sci-fi)

Other than registering a complaint about the inherent absurdity of having a ‘favourite’ book of any kind I submit twin options for your choosing.

1. Dangerous Visions (edited) by Harlan Ellison (a great collection of some of the most challenging Sci-Fi put to paper) or Tales of Known Space by Larry Niven (Rollicking Hard S-F adventure without a speck of pretention).

2. Necessary Illusions by Noam Chomsky (One of several important treatises on the Media and Politics) or The Mothman Prophesies by John Keel (please note scariness factor heavily influenced by A) reading alone at night B) Being 13)

3. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (Blah Blah the reason there is a modern Fantasy Movement woof woof simply a great yarn) or On Equilibrium by John Ralston Saul (an inciteful, practical look at Philosophy/politics/ethics written with humour and ‘life’)

1. Dune by Frank Herbert. You should read the entire series though.

2. House of Leaves by a guy named Mark Danielewski - it will totally creep you out! Plus his sister is a musician by the name of POE, and her album “Haunted” is a musical collaboration with the book. She and Mark created both at the same time, so both works make references to each other.

3. Hmmm. Wow. Um. So…many…“Mists of Avalon” by M.Z. Bradley (girlie) or Iain Banks’ “Consider Phlebas” I definitely lean toward the sci-fi…

1. It’s more steam-punk fantasy than sci-fi, but my current recommendation is Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. He creates a really fascinating, very gritty world and tells a good yarn in the process.

2. The Secret History by Donna Tartt. It’s not horror; nothing supernatural happens; but, oh man, is it creepy. I couldn’t put it down.

3. No fair, WordMan, I was going to say that! Seriously, To Kill a Mockingbird is an amazing, funny, touching book. I get something new out of it every time I read it.

But in the interest of diversity, I’ll say that everyone should also own at least one Roald Dahl book. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a good place to start.

1. this is hard OUTCASTS OF HEAVEN BELT Joan D. Vinge

2. HOSTAGE TO THE DEVIL Malachi Martin

3. YOU MONEY OR YOUR LIFE Joe Dominguez

more sci-fi

http://presidentjackson.no-ip.org/knavelacademy/scifi01.html

Dal Timgar

1. Clarke’s Rama books

2. The Bible

3. Sagan’s Demon-Haunted World.

Just kidding about the Bible…not!
Seriously, if we’re talking fiction the most scary book would
have to be…The Bible!!! (did you see that coming?)

Ok, a close 2nd would be Blood Meridian by McCarthy

Wow, lots of things to choose from. So far I think I’m going to go with Neuromancer for the first choice. I’ve read a bunch of the titles listed here already (heh, the Bible).

I’m going to have to wait and see which books get the most votes, so far To Kill a Mockingbird and Neuromancer have at least gotten enthusiastic second opinions so…

But I’m definetely saving this thread for future reference.

Any others?

1. A Fire Upon the Deep
  2. House of Leaves or The Stand
  3. Sorry, I can’t limit this to one - The Brothers K or A Confederacy of Dunces. (Very different, equally great books, IMO)
  1. Foreigner by C.J. Cherryh. Book 1 of the best SF series I’ve ever read.

2. The Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells. Scary and very well written fantasy novel.

3. Either of the above, both are among the very best in their genres.

Try Tripmaster Monkey. It has “Monkey” in the title. IT IS MONKEYLICIOUS!

House of Leaves would be a good one for all three, by the time you’re done with it, I guaranty you won’t look at books the same way.

1. Ender’s Game and the rest of the related books by Orson Scott Card
  2. Farenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
  3. The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint Exupery
    I could come up with several more in each category but I’m late for my bus…