I need to make a macro

I would like to make a macro in Windows, but I don’t have a clue how to do it (and a google and archive search didn’t turn up anything useful).

Here’s the situation. I hook my laptop up to my TV on a regular basis in order to watch movies using the laptop’s DVD player. To make the TV the primary display requires going through four menus (about 5 mouseclicks total). Not a big deal, but I’d like to have a shortcut that I could click that would automate this process.

My questions are: Is there a way to do this, and if so, how?

Thanks.

It’s been a while since troubleshooting and setting up PCs was my bread & butter, but you used to be able to set up different hardware profiles on laptops and select among them at boot-up. If you can set up the TV-as-primary-display configuration as one hardware profile, then it would be as simple as rebooting.

Not what you were asking for, but I hope this helps.

i’ll answer the first part… Yes, there is a way to do this …

ok i’ll answer the second too:

http://www.macros.com/

there are ofcourse dozens more macro software available for windows… just go to any decent windows software site… try download.com too…

Poof, you’re a macro. :smiley:

Sorry, I just had to do that. You don’t mention what version of Windows you’re using, but if it’s Win95 or 98, you could still use the Recorder app that came with Windows 3.1 (if you have a copy of it laying around). You can probably do a google search for recorder.exe if not. It has two support files, recorder.dll and recorder.hlp. This is a 16-bit app so it’s likely it won’t work in WinNT/2K/XP. It’s up to you to determine the legality of this should you find it. Microsoft long ago stopped supporting this version of Windows and in my opinion that makes it abandonware. If you find them, drop them into your windows directory and run the exe. Read the help file for info on use. Very handy utility and I don’t know why they didn’t update it for subsequent OS releases. Like xash said, there are other shareware/freeware apps out there that will accomplish the same thing (and more). Try a search at download.com with a keyword like automate or macro.