I only just found out that "manger" isn't a synonym for crib, but a trough for feeding animals

No, that’s where my username comes from. But I’m just an atheist who was ordained by the Univeral Live Church for laughs, and that became my nickname in real life with some friends.

Mangers are for hay, troughs are for water, grain, or slops.

I thought you were referring to the Old French word “mangier” and assumed you must be something of a linguist :slight_smile:

Damn dyslexia.

Apropos of that and irrelevant to everything else, I saw a variant bumper sticker yesterday that made me (1) laugh and (2) actually want one. (I outgrew bumper stickers decades ago.)

“Dog is my co-pirate” with a dogs-head Jolly Roger.

So we also can go the other way: “corn crib”, “rock crib”, etc. An open structure to contain such items.

At the place I mentioned earlier, we had rock cribs along an ancient fence line on the edge of a cliff. The ground was too rocky for proper fence posts.

So we had cribs and mangers, neither for a baby.

(Trying to Google image search “hay manger” is ridiculous. Far too many hits that are just misspellings of “hay manager”.)

I’m not cunning.

Sounds like something from Yahoo Answers…

How come the cows didnt eat the babby jesus?

What does a babby jesus taste like?

What if the babby jesus got stuck in the slates of the manger and needed the jaws of life?

Why they call him the babby jesus and not babby hank or babby bocephus?

Tender and mild.

You mean slew. As in swamp. Still spelled slough.

Ooh, well played.

It rhymes with* tough*, bough, or through, according to its use.

slough1 [slou for 1, 2, 4; sloo for 3]
noun

1. an area of soft, muddy ground; swamp or swamplike region.
  2. a hole full of mire, as in a road.
  3. Also, slew, slue. Northern U.S. and Canadian. a marshy or reedy pool, pond, inlet, backwater, or the like.
  4. a condition of degradation, despair, or helplessness.

slough2 [sluhf]
noun

1. the outer layer of the skin of a snake, which is cast off periodically.
  2. Pathology . a mass or layer of dead tissue separated from the surrounding or underlying tissue.
  3. anything that is shed or cast off.
  4. Cards. a discard.
    verb (used without object)
  5. to be or become shed or cast off, as the slough of a snake.
  6. to cast off a slough.
  7. Pathology . to separate from the sound flesh, as a slough.
  8. Cards. to discard a card or cards.
    verb (used with object)
  9. to dispose or get rid of; cast (often followed by off ): to slough off a bad habit.
  10. to shed as or like a slough.
  11. Cards. to discard (cards).

(From here.)

No, I meant slough, as in, what your skin does when it peels off. “Sluff.”

I thought that “manger” was a synonym for “stable” up to the point at which I read this thread just now. :smack:

If manger blew your mind; what about the thought that the manger in question was in a cave, and not in stable? Some Churches state that Jesus was born in a cave, as they were used by shepherds of the time to shelter animals from hostile weather.

:smack:

Until this thread, I thought it was the animal pen, not just the feeding trough.