I pit Ethos water (Starbucks)

Noooo! He had so much to live for! Why do they have to go so soon?

It would have been better understood had the word genre been mentioned. As for the sizes themselves, I have never had confusion. Simple enough, if you’re confused, the employees aren’t – ask for a small and they will give you the right size.

Personally, I prefer Seattle’s Best to $tarbucks, but we don’t have those here, so I go to $tarbucks. Not only are the employees very well trained, but they’re also sweet, personable and enthusiastic – of course, this is only referring to one of the local stores, some of the others suck ass.

While I do notice that some people are just beyond ridiculous in their pretentious ordering habits (one women that frequents the same store I do orders a triple grande extra hot no foam low-fat no whipped vanilla latte – talk about redundant – the employees ring her up for all the extras and charge her out the ass, when she could get the same thing for way less by being less pretentious, but no one tells her because she’s a bitch). For the most part, though, I say if you don’t like $tarbucks or the people who drink it, just stay the fuck out – no one is forcing you to “pay $3.50 for crappy coffee.”

I have never been in a Starbucks and not been impressed by the employees. They are always in a good mood (not in a phony way) and willing to engage in small talk if things aren’t too busy. It’s a huge improvement over being treated as cattle in a doughnut shop. Even if I need to grab a cup of tea, I’ll head to Starbucks for a couple of cents more.

So I guess I’m paying a little bit more for the atmosphere but it’s worth it.

Wow. You people are awfully particular about pronounciations. :slight_smile: I am aware that French and Italian have different pronounciations, but in some ways they are more similar to each other than to English. When I was originally saying that I didn’t know how to pronounce “venti,” I couldn’t think of an English word with the “e” sound I was thinking of (because, guess what, “venti” isn’t an English word, and English words don’t typically have the “e” sound I was trying to replicate). SO…I used an English word, “pond,” which had the sound I was going for. People acted hopelessly confused, like they couldn’t imagine what I meant was that I didn’t know if the “e” was supposed to sound like the “o” in “pond.” Not knowing Italian, and offered a good word (“genre”) that English-speakers use that has the “e” pronounced that way, I gave that as an example.

Now…here’s the crux of the whole thing…the reason I don’t know how to pronounce “venti” is because I, not speaking any Italian whatsoever, do not know if the “genre” e sound is found in Italian, as it is in French. I also do not know if venti is even a real word, or, if it is, if the Starbucks people know how it is supposed to be pronounced, either, or if they just made the whole thing up. SO…that is why I said “French/Italian fake-y,” not because I think that French and Italian are the same language or have all the same pronounciations.

All that aside, my point here is that I think their sizing thing is stupid, and while I think Starbucks offers a pretty good product, and the service is excellent, I am willing to fork over $4 for an occasional latte, but I’m not willing to order it any way but by saying “medium” or “large.” I am assuming, since they always give me what I want, that I am not alone in this, and I also assume that they are happy enough to get my $4 not to complain about my stubborn insistence on using the common vernacular of drink sizing.

I know. I just thought that rather than act confused by your “pond” example (which was perfectly clear to me), I might actually answer the question. :slight_smile: (I realize other people gave real answers too, but still). I just wasn’t sure what “French/Italian fake-y” meant.

And, for the record, there is no “genre” “e” sound in Italian (just so you know).

“Venti” is a real word: it means “twenty”. As to whether Starbucks baristas actually know that: I doubt it. As to whether it’s a stupid thing to call a coffee that you should ignore: absolutely.

Agreed, which is why I don’t use the stupid names.

“Largo” is the one that really gets me. “Largo” means “broad”. I have a “Largo” coffee from Bread Co. next to me right now (I ordered a large) and it’s no broader than any other cup I’ve ever seen.

Thank you! At least now I know how to pronounce Venti.

Ah. Twenty. That makes sense, especially given it’s similarity to the French word for twenty. (And, it’s a 20-ounce cup, I’m thinking?)

Now that IS stupido.

The following link has a picture of the side of a naked hip so Potential NSFW:

I saw a bottle at Walmart. Funny stuff.

I’ll add this: Starbucks probably isn’t spending that 5 cents to buy water directly. They’re probably donating it to an organization that leverages the money in efficient ways to help people acquire water. In some communities in some countries, that 5 cents would go toward a pump or something associated with a well or spring, and some fixes to these things might be more reasonably priced especially when combined with the aid and support of NGOs.

I think we should all definitely rebel by ordering in Italian: (not sure if this is right) “Vorrei un cafe machiato, caldo, grande, per favore.” When lines stall across the country, we will laugh in their face and say “If you want random Italian-language sizes, then deal with random Italian-language orders, cazzo!” Then we will prance away and make love with leprechauns while eating venti-sized linguine alfredo.

Prego!

Why on Earth would anyone think that Starbucks would give away water?

Well, the cold Venti cups are actually 24 ounces. Weird.

And Italian doesn’t use ounces. It should be called a settecento.

Starbucks bashing is 100% a class thing. Dunkin’ Donuts is Working Class, Starbucks is Middle Class, so preferring Starbucks to Dunkin’ Donuts means you are a Bourgeois Swine who will pay $100 a cup for water. Q.E.D.

Now watch the back-pedaling. Especially from Q.E.D.

No backpedaling here. I am middle class; I still think Starbucks sucks.

Good call, there, Nostradamus. :rolleyes:

OK, I was wrong. Back-pedaling requires enough honesty to at least partially admit you were wrong. I misjudged you.

Sure, if it floats your boat, I’ll happily cop to being wrong about their prices. That doesn’t alter either of my opinions that a) Starbucks coffee tastes like burnt ass and b) you’re a sucker for paying way more than a cup of hot, brown ass-water is worth.

Your bad. Stop buying water bottles shaped like this !!. ( safe for work )

:wink:

I find the name of the water to be curiously nauseating. Ethos. What happened to Pathos or Greedo?

Cartooniverse

Han shot him.

¡Molto bene!

You had me right up to the leprechauns. You really did.

:eek: