I pit Fox News' Andrew Napolitano for his really stupid statement on the Civil War and slavery

Will this cost Fox News it’s valued Black viewer demographic?

I’m pretty sure he was in the can during that segment, so they’re good.

And when you say “valued”…

And if OMG does read this he’ll probably just call Lincoln a “libtard” anyway.

Finally standing up to the slave power took a lot of balls.

Also some canister.

It’s slavery all the way down.

One thing that struck me when reading Doris Kern Goodwin’s Team of Rivals: the Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln (a must-read, by the way), was how there seemed to be no room for compromise with the South, even before Lincoln. There was no moderate faction. And I couldn’t help but get an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach comparing it to today, which seems to be a shadowy reflection of that time.

As I recall, there was even an effort to create colonies of former slaves. They were supposed to get them well set-up with schools and hospitals. Shockingly, it turns out that some private concern hired to do the job of government took the money and did the least they could possibly get away with. They dumped the former slaves on an island with some hatchets and told them to fend for themselves. Lincoln gave up this plan after that.

Liberia was founded in such a way, was it not?

Fox News? Yes, I suppose so.

:smack: No, no, that was the Jews! How obvious did they have to make it – they kept shouting, “Torah! Torah! Torah!”

:slight_smile:

Yeah, those poor slave states. They were practically… wait for it… enslaved by the North. :rolleyes:

All eleven of them are identical in that regard.

That reminded of a famous quote from the civil war:

After the Battles for Chattanooga one place that saw the worst action was selected as a new cemetery for the fallen. When a chaplain asked the victorious Union General Thomas if the dead should be separated and buried by state, Thomas replied: “Mix ‘em up. I’m tired of states’ rights.”

Well yes, it was obviously a major provocation for the U.S. to try to reprovision its garrison at Fort Sumter. After that failed, there was no choice left for the South but to bombard and occupy the fort and also to take over other federal installations.

Lincoln should’ve just paid off the southern leaders in order to keep conducting business as usual, then there would have been no war. :dubious:

Or Year of Meteors: Stephen Douglas, Abraham Lincoln, and the Election that Brought on the Civil War by Douglas R. Egerton.

Also, Lincoln had General McClellan study the colonization idea. McClellan reported that all the naval and merchant shipping of the U.S. drafted for the purpose could not deport blacks from America “one-half so fast as negro children will be born here.” You can read the story in What Lincoln Believed, by Michael Lind.

Except this wasn’t true. Everyone, including Lincoln, said that they had no intention of ending slavery nationwide. (The abolitionists even ran a candidate against Lincoln because he was “soft” on slavery.) The Republicans said they had no intention of ending slavery in states where it was already legal. They even offered to enact a constitutional amendment guaranteeing the ongoing legality of slavery so no future law could abolish it.

But this wasn’t enough for the southern fire-eaters. They didn’t want to just protect slavery in their own states; they insisted the federal government had to protect it throughout the country - even in states that didn’t want slavery.

Free families with pregnant women first. :slight_smile:

It’s a pity the non-slave-owning Southerners who fought & then came home to an impoverished South were not encouraged to put the blame on the slave masters who started the catastrophe.