I Pit Practice Management Fees

So do you mean to say that your patients will lie, cheat and steal, commit bodily harm or bloody murder to be seen by you?

Assuming that the doctor has a contract with the insurance company ( and he may not) , the OP needs to take it up with the insurance company, not his employer’s HR people. But if they’re telling him to take it up with the provider, I’m guessing there is no contract forbidding this fee.

I would think that just being able to see you would be proof enough. :slight_smile:

Am I mathematically retarded, or does a panel of 2000 patients at 200 bucks a head work out to $400,000 a year?

No, the **doctor **is the reason. Many people go to the doctor when they get sick. The doctor isn’t forced to prescribe antibiotics to people without bacterial infections, he CHOSE to do so.

Math is good. Forgot to mention, $125 single, $200 family.

And, again, the drug request thingy was just an example. I couldn’t immediately think of a generic way of presenting it. I usually only go in when I need an excuse for work. Once or twice a year? Maybe? So this $200 fee is especially galling considering the level of professional “treatment” I’m receiving.

You only go in to see your Dr to get excuse notes for work and you wonder why they want to charge you $200? Has it occurred to you maybe you’re not the kind of patient they want? Maybe they actually only sent out the letters to patients they would prefer go elsewhere. Note seekers, the non compliant, etc!

Guys. “Sniffles” can be “sinus infection” and a Z-pack for a sinus infection is perfectly reasonable. If my face hurts and I can’t breathe and I go to the doctor and they say “yep, you have a sinus infection, you need antibiotics”, it doesn’t make me a bad person to take them. And if it’s not a sinus infection–if my doctor is prescribing me antibiotics I don’t need because she thinks patients need to go home with something–that’s on her for practicing bad medicine, not on me for trusting her (flawed) judgment.

Jesus. When did it become part of the social contract that you couldn’t go to the doctor unless you’d first decided what you had?

“To get an excuse note” doesn’t imply an illicit excuse. If you have an employer that insists on a doctor’s note if you miss 2 days in a row, you have to go to the doctor even when you probably don’t need medical care (say, a mild flu) to get professional verification that you really can’t work. How is that being a bad patient?

Yes, he’s just that damn good!

I don’t know. I bet most of his patients would jump at the chance to see a doctor in the next town over.

;):smiley:

My GP did the same thing, so despite the fact he’s been our GP for something like 25 years, we are gone. Dunno how long it will be until he’s replaced tho, since we rarely need to see him.

Unless this is a concierge service, a practice management fee is probably against the agreement that doctor has with your insurance company, if s/he is in-network. Contact the insurance company and tell them she’s doing this. Send them the letter (or a copy of it) while you’re at it.

Folks, don’t pay these fees blindly to doctors if they are in-network in your insurance company. They violate every participating insurance agreement I’ve ever seen.

If the insurance is paid for by the employer, and/or the company is self-insured, the HR department can contact the insurance company to have them look for all of their employees who might use this doctor, and the insurance company can tell the doc that under the in-network contract, an annual fee is NOT permitted and to tell those patients they do not have to pay.

Doing this for all employees at once will save time, administratively.

It also alerts the insurance company that this doc is getting creative with her finances, and they might review her claims a little more closely.

You and Chimera don’t know that what is being described is a cold; I don’t understand why you are both immediately assuming that antibiotic abuse is going on. I refer to sinusitis (“sinus infection”) as “the sniffles” so I don’t sound overly-dramatic. Antibiotics are appropriate for a sinus infection.

They have something to do with the insurance payment that comes out of my check that precludes me having to pay a fee just to stay on a doctor’s roster.

The OP said he already spoke to the employer and insurance company - and the response was

Which suggests that either - 1) the provider does not have a contract with the insurance company - not all do, even those who accept what the insurance pays as payment in full or 2) the contract doesn’t prohibit this fee.

In any event, the employer doesn’t have a contract with the doctor, the insurance company possibly does - and the insurance company would handle any violations. All HR could do is call the insurance company.