[QUOTE=E-Sabbath]
Phoebe, deacon in the church of Chechreae, Roman 16:1. Paul’s own patron.
Priscilla, primary over Aquila (Interestingly, some bible translations make her a man)
And, of course, foremost among the apostles, Junia.
“there is not male and female, for all of you are one in Jesus Christ.”
Of course, 1 Timothy appears not to have been written by Paul, but in his name. After all, it does contradict other writings.
And, of course, 1 Corinthians 14 is corrupted, circa verse 34/35: “let the woman keep silent.” and so on. It appears to have been inserted in various texts, in different places. It appears in some after verse 40 rather than after verse 33, suggesting strongly it was once marginalia, later inserted within the main document, as a method of rationalizing 1 Timothy with the rest of Paul.
They do not flow with 1 Corinthians. Examine the text without it, and it does not change topic, insert it and it does. Further, it contradicts the rest of Paul, where he says how a woman should pray in church, and how a woman should prophesy.
My source is, of course, Misquoting Jesus, by Bart Ehrman. Fascinating book, well worth reading.
[/QUOTE]
Believing that the I Tim 2 and I Cor 14 passages are Paulist & still believing in women in Church leadership, I think these passages are more about the relationship between wives & husbands- in I Tim 2, that wives should not be
their husbands’ spiritual directors but rather husbands should be discipled by
other men, and in I Cor 14, that when a man has a Spirit-inspired utterance and the congregation assesses it, his wife should sit out on the public assessment.
As Biblically conservative as the Holiness & Pentecostal movements of the late 1800s-early 1900s were, they were actually the first to acknowledge women as
preachers and pastors.