I Pit The Racial Hoaxers

I’m sure many of you saw Lt. General Jay Silvieri’s moving speech. The doors of 5 black cadets were painted with racist graffiti at the Air Force Academy, and he used the opportunity to address the students about how this behavior was intolerable.

The only problem? It was a hoax perpetrated by one of those 5 black cadets. Apparently, he was in trouble and thought of abusing our racial sensitivities to create a distraction. Instead of accepting individual responsibility, he played on our group insecurities. Shame on him.

But he’s not the only one. There was a somewhat similar situation that unfolded at Kansas State University. Apparently, as something of a Halloween prank, a young black man wrote racist graffiti all over his vehicle and left hanging nooses on trees. This caused a storm of outrage among the campus community. And now, they have to confront the fact that this was all a joke.

Why do these incidents bother me so much? Well, because it makes it very difficult to judge how much overt racism still exists. Acts like these are prime examples to the public that racist attitudes may still prevail. But when they are fake and used to exploit people, it pisses us off. The Black Student Union at Kansas State actually petitioned the police to charge the offender with a crime. Law enforcement declined.

It also pisses off white people. Lt. Silvieri gave a great speech, but implicit in that speech was the notion that those racist attitudes did indeed exist among the cadets. By basing his moral sermon upon a lie, it dramatically deflates the impact, and can even lead to a backlash. White people are sensitive to accusations of racism, and to manipulate people with these hoaxes is terribly damaging to race relations.

What is also damaging about these events is that it makes it virtually impossible to know when something is real or staged. For example, the door at Lebron James’s house was recently spray-painted with racist graffiti. This caused an uproar of sorts in the media, and James himself lamented that racism still affected black Americans.

But what if that was fake too? How can we know? This distrust is damaging us. As a centrist white person, I have to walk the line between compassion for racial injustice and a simple need to know the truth before coming to conclusions. This is the only philosophy which I can employ that I find acceptable within which to live my life.

And I will end with a sentiment that may surprise some of you. I want these type of events to be fake. If they are real, then that means overt racism is still a problem in our society. It means people still cling to the hateful ideas that poison society. So when I see racist graffiti intended to scare minorities, I would definitely prefer that it were staged. Then at least I know this is one less incident of that hateful ideology rearing its ugly head.

You’re fucking stoned or something, right?

If you think it is an unreasonable assumption that racism exists in the armed forces, you’re a total fucking idiot.

There’s a lot of great people who serve in uniform, and a whole lot of average people. And there are some real awful people in uniform, too.

Just the other day I was reading a story about some Navy SEALs who are suspected of murdering a Green Beret. You’ve got to be a total dope to think, “Yeah, sure, some murderers might make it to the most elite military units, but there no way that racism could exist at a military academy!”

Bigger problem is that the conservative Fiction News latches on to every one of these and either implies or outright states that all reported incidents are hoaxes. And the conservatives who read this crap buy it.

Hell, people ON THIS BOARD have implied that the hate crimes since Trump was elected are pretty much all hoaxes (or alternatively aren’t happening at all), and each of these stories that turns out to actually be a hoax gives an air of legitimacy to the nonsense & hate brigade.

Um, are you genuinely unsure about whether overt racism is still a problem in our society?

I mean, I get what you’re saying about false positives being a nuisance, but I somehow doubt that all the folks spewing the n-word in comments sections are troubled black people seeking attention.

Well, that didn’t last long.

I’ll assume that you agree with the pitting of individuals who manipulate racial tensions by staging these sort of incidents. Is that fair?

With regard to judging the scale of overt racism, particularly on college campuses and in the military, faulty data makes honest appraisal a real challenge. Sober thinking on this issue does seem lacking, though I am not sure I am the party guilty of that. It’s a joint effort that we all must engage in - to weed out the stems. Nobody likes being duped, especially on the Dope.

Ultimately, I’m more concerned with the backlash these hoaxes incur. White resentment is a problem among those who view all liberal media as “fake news.” It’s hard to see how this phenomenon does anything but further entrench these people in their errant worldview. It’s extraordinarily toxic.

I thought you flounced?

Judging by the statements to the effect that he’s more worried about the feelings of white people than the existence of racism, I’m going to go out on a limb and say the OP is probably a black dude.

That’s quite a heavy burden you are carrying there, white person. Have you considered seeking reparations?

He flounced out. He flounced back. Flounce, flounce, flounce.

Its why motorcycle guys wear leather, because chiffon wrinkles so easily.

I, for one, hoax the racial pitters.

It’s the burden of all rational actors in a society. Does the truth of a situation only matter to white people? Are destructive lies worth addressing?

Yeah! The truth matters to white people! They never lie!

When it was thought to have been a racially motivated incident, the leadership acted in a responsible manner and addressed it with the students.

When it was discovered to have been a hoax, the leadership acted in a responsible manner and expelled the student, thereby sending the right message to the students.

They acted rationally. Destructive lies were addressed and properly dealt with.

What more do you want to happen? What other acknowledgement do you require from the academy, authorities and society at large?

OP must have really struck a nerve, we are up to seventeen already! Friggin’ avalanche!

Does that mean you want reparations?

“Did the old Jew sleep with the 16-year-old girl, after all?” (that’s an old movie quote, btw)

I agree with the OP that racial hoaxes hurt the cause of racial justice.

There I said it. Hurl your slings and arrows.

#I’msobrave

Ha Ha! “Centrist”, good one!