I Pit Those SUV-Sized Shopping Cart/Kiddie Cars and the Parents Who Use Them

One reason is - big surprise here - people like doing things with their kids.

And I agree with this one. If someone stood behind me and clapped, I would have wondered if they were trying to resusitate Tinkerbell.

WHEN GET HIT, BRING PIE!

snort

Actually, she probably hadn’t brought the cart from home. As a couple of other people in this thread have observed, some supermarkets have taken to providing kid-sized shopping carts, presumably to hasten the process of turning human beings into consumers.

True.
Why didn’t the OP just push the abandoned cart the hell out of her way?
The abandoned cart was the real problem since the isles are designed for two way traffic. Everything would have worked out if time-rift lady hadn’t left her cart there.

I dunno. Kalhoun Jr. was an absolute dream to shop with. When he was little, he’d discuss the groceries with me and we’d share the duties. I’d take it off the shelf, hand it to him, and he’d deposit it in the cart. When he got older, he had that store mapped out in his head to the point that I’d ask him, “Where’s the aluminum foil?” and he’d say “Aisle 6” or he’d go get it for me!! I adored shopping with him!

Hate the carts. They’re too big. Though I do like chatting with the little tykes that are in them.

A-fucking-men. What kind of passive aggressive moron stands in a shopping aisle with their thumb up their ass (except for when they are clapping for attention-what the hell does that mean anyway?) instead of politely saying “excuse me” and getting on with their day; then comes online and wails about it looking for kudos and attaboys? In the situation as you’ve described it, there is one person at fault-you. Grow just half a pair why doncha? Your life will be a lot easier, and your shopping times a lot shorter.

Here’s a news flash: the world does not revolve around you. Children have as much a right to exist here, on Earth, as you do, and, being people, should be welcome in this most mundane of places, the grocery store. If allowing a child to ride in a child-designed grocery cart is annoying to you, I suggest you stay home and have your groceries delivered. Or pay someone else to do it. Or starve.

Why people think that children–CHILDREN!, which is what people start out as, after all–are some class of beast to be scorned and ridiculed when they aren’t standing mute and unbreathing – or better yet – cease to exist at all when you, The Pinnacle of All that Exists, the single person unburdend by <gag> children!! arrives on the scene, just absolutely slays me. They should be trained to behave themselves, to be sure, but here’s another news flash: sometimes they don’t. Life works like that. Sometimes things go great, sometimes it’s a challenge or a chore. Get used to it.

Way to completely miss the point there.

The OP was annoyed not with the children, but with inconsiderate and selfish parents.

Bah. See " Pookie-Ookums," above. The OP doesn’t want the damn kids anywhere near him/her. Parents who let the kid ride are indulgent and the child itself is king. Um, no–we’re just parents with kids and we’re taking them to the store.

Perhaps I’m off the exact point of this rant, but what bothers me is this contemptuous tone used regarding children and parents.

Ugh, the grocery store is the the prime example of “hell is other people”! Cart blockers are the worst and I really don’t get how people can NOT see me (and others) trying to get by. Since these SUV sized carts have come along, it’s even worse. Occasionally I’ll bring my son to the store and, guess what? I want to kill him! He’s 7 and is too big for the SUVs but he tries to steer the cart, begs for shit, and wanders in front of other people like they’re invisible. And, I’ll tell you what, the next time he begs for devil dogs, I’m going to tell him that they’re why his ass is to fat to fit in the fun cart. It’s going to be nasty.

Mostly I leave him home or pick him up late from his after school program on grocery day. It’s for the best.

I’m sorry, but anyone who stops their cart in the middle of an isle of the grocery store, next to another cart going the other direction and proceeds to feed their child lunch is beyond rude. I don’t care what the OP’s reaction was or what he could’ve said to her, she was being a great big inconsiderate ass. People like her make me absolutely dread going grocery shopping.

One day I will start a pit thread about retired people who shop on Saturday and not with their 45 year old son, but alone.

I wasn’t going to respond to this thread (because it’s more about rude people then parents) until this:

How about because we shop WITH our spouse. My wife and I almost always go shopping together, with our (please forgive us) two children. Why? Because we, A:both cook and don’t always know what the other needs for a specific recipe we’re planning; and B:we like spending whatever time we can with each other and our kids.
With our hours, sometimes we only have an hour or two each day that we can spend together. If that hour or two is at the store, oh well. We don’t block anybody and our kids our well behaved (OK…usually well behaved.)
Sorry if you don’t get the idea that some families LIKE to spend whatever time they can together, but we’ll continue to do it.

• DESK

Fuckin’ A, did you read anything in the OP besides “pookie-ookums,” or did your brain just go into vapor lock as soon as you saw the mention of a child in a pit thread, regardless of what was actually being said about the kid? Next time, try to pay attention to context, leave your issues at the newsstand, and stop feeding your damn kid in the middle of the aisle in the grocery store.

Really? I find them much more maneuverable than the typical cart. The ones at the stores near me have three sets of wheels and I can pivot the cart on the center wheels for hairpin turns. The kids enjoy them, but most of our shopping is done at a store with a “supervised play area” for the kids, so we don’t use the carts all that much.

Enjoy,
Steven

Ours aren’t like that.

I’ve been thinking about this, and it occurs to me - why *wouldn’t * you bring your child to the grocery store? How else are you supposed to teach him proper manners in the store? And as others have mentioned, mostly the kids don’t bother people, it’s inconsiderate shoppers.

For me, aside from what I posted above, it’s so I can have some time alone. I’m sure he won’t beg his wife for devil dogs or cut in front of people when he’s a big man.

I’m another who thinks the problem isn’t the larger shopping carts, but those shoppers who don’t pay attention to others around them. Likewise, the little carts can be very effective for keeping Junior under control, if the parent/guardian is willing to make the effort to police Jr’s actions. It’s the ones who don’t pay attention to others that bother me.

And that’s behavior that exists irrespectively of the kind of cart the nominally responsible person is using.