I Pit UltraVires

As long as the forum exists then it is within the spirit of the board. I can’t say that I think it adds much of value though.

Ah, so this is just performance art, showing how vile someone can be in the pit by being that example?

I deleted my original reply to this because I don’t think you actually deserved such a rude response. I imagine that this post came from a good intentioned place. However unlike you I do not see good motivations in Dibble and that makes me unable to accept the advice you offer here. I think he is a bad person with bad motivations.

This is silly. I mean, the first part is right - to listen is to hear and try to understand. But you can understand just fine, and believe the person can be wrong. And try to explain your perspective back to them. It’s called a conversation. Which is what I was trying to have (yes, I know it’s The Pit, and yes, I know I probably shouldn’t have bothered.) What you - and what Dibs - seem to want is a lecture. I’m not up for that. I don’t accept Dibs - or you - as a subject matter expert here.

Well, we sure wouldn’t want to discover that you are one of those low quality posters that basically still exists on the board because the Pit gives you a place where you can act up and not get in trouble. If that were taken away from you, I suspect due to lack of control, you would be bounced out of the forum entirely, to its improvement.

I’d wager quite a bit that would not happen. I’m a conservative, who retired from a long career in government, I assure you that there are any number of rules based systems in which I respect and follow the rules and these forums are no different.

I’ll try summing it up the best I can.

MrDibble is explaining a rather basic concept. It is racist for a white person to tell black people that their culture is wrong. That is just oppression.

Black people came up with Juneteenth. A white person who attacks that holiday by saying that black people are being stupid to celebrate that day and not this other day he thinks is better0–that guy is being fucking racist.

You want to ask why they celebrate that day? Fine. Then, if you listen—and not argue that they’re wrong—you might learn. But if you just keep looking at ways to pick it apart, then you’re not interesting in learning.

And that is what MrDibble is accusing you of doing. I won’t opine whether he is accurate or not. But I understand why he’s getting frustrated that you seem to not be getting what to him likely seems a basic concept.

Non-black people don’t get to tell black people they’re wrong about their own culture. UV is not entitled to his opinion that black people are being stupid by celebrating the wrong day.

I chuckled too🤣

:rofl:coming from a black hole?:rofl:

So far, I’m with you. It would be racist for a white person to tell an African-American that celebrating Juneteenth is wrong. I haven’t done that, and I wouldn’t do that. I’ve stated that repeatedly in this thread. I’m not sure if you’ve bothered reading my posts here, but I’ve been pretty clear about that. So it’s fine if I get annoyed at you for not grasping this basic concept, right?

Anyway…

Actually, I’m pretty sure I understand the origins of Juneteenth already, at least at the wikipedia-article level. That’s not at all what this thread has been about. So my frustration with you at this point is legitimate, right?

Again, not what UV did, at least not in the blurb quoted in the OP. Maybe he said something else somewhere, I don’t know. But in that blurb, what he’s criticizing is the US Congress elevating Juneteeth as a federal holiday to celebrate the end of slavery. That said, I think if you wanted to make an argument that the ‘false history’ part is repointing the blame from Congress more broadly to the African-American community, I think that would be a fair parsing. It’s not the one I had, nor is it the most charitable one. But it certainly may be the right one. I can’t rule that out. And if you accept that parsing, I agree, it’s racist. But if you don’t accept that parsing, and you see the criticism as being wholly pointed at Congress, you can think that without “telling African-Americans they’re doing their culture wrong.”

The whole idea that a day other than the one already celebrated by the African-American community should be used is racist, whether you’re blaming African-Americans or the US government. It’s really not that hard.

When I first saw the “Fake date, dudes!” post, I was imagining a thread like “I finally get off work for a whole week and get to travel and celebrate Christmas with my kids and their families!”… and then UV says “Wrong date, doofus. Stay home and think about that instead.”

You know, on reflection, I think that’s fair. It would effectively be saying, “Hey, we’re going to create a national holiday to celebrate the end of slavery! No, not that one you’ve been celebrating the past 150+ years. This other one! It’s for you!” And I think it’s fair to characterize that as racist.

I’m tossing this out. I was agreeing with Do Not Taunt but realized I just don’t need the grief from the SDMB funfun club.

Not sure how far you’ve gotten in the thread, but there were a few good points buried beneath the misunderstanding and general funfun.

Yeah. I read more of it after my initial response. I can understand some ill-feeling towards UV I guess. His post in the other thread mostly struck me as pedantic more than anything else. Like silly lawyering.

ETA: It is very difficult for me to hold on to any of my thoughts about posts if I wait until after reading the whole thread to reply. Pretty sure it’s the ol ADHD. It’s not ideal.

Well he’s a silly lawyer…

You’d think that people would’ve had enough of silly lawyering…

Do you want me guess what that is?

It’d almost be sort of funny if I had ever indicated that I have any problem with acronyms and initialisms.

I look around me and I see it isn’t so, unfortunately.