I Pit UltraVires

I don’t think the right word is “arbitrary” for July 4th. Arbitrary would be if they just picked a day that had nothing to do with independence, like October 9th. Instead July 4th is the date that Congress chose to declare independence and to affix to the document produce (the Declaration of Independence.) The vote happened July 2nd, but they essentially voted to make the declaration be on July 4th. So the date is fairly logical in that regard.

Kind of similar to Juneteenth, isn’t it? Not completely arbitrary but other dates would make sense as well. That was the point being made.

I talk to the trees, but they don’t listen to me.

I mean I would say Juneteenth is not arbitrary either, it is tied to a specific event on a specific date.

Arbitrary:

based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.

That doesn’t fit either July 4th or Juneteenth. It does arguably fit Christmas for example. There is no historical evidence Christians really had a clue what Jesus’s birthdate was, scriptural evidence suggests it certainly was not in December. They basically picked a convenient time because they had already been celebrating holidays around that time anyway as pagans.

OK, OK, my deepest apologies for the incorrect use of the word arbitrary. I hope that you can forgive me.

Christmas wasn’t arbitrary at all. The church picked it so that they didn’t have to tell new converts to stop celebrating the winter solstice.

“race baiting” must be the new “uppity”.

Of course, what else to expect from everyone’s favourite genocide denialist (who isn’t named Deth).

Hey man shut up.

Did anyone hear something ? Sounded like White noise.

Maybe try talking to the corn? They’re all ears :wink:

Classic example of can’t see the forest for the trees.

Maybe we should just leaf it alone

Okay I won’t lie. That quip made me chuckle. That was well-done.

That’s when we worship Treesus.

What about Columbus Day? Y’all are still celebrating that fiction with pride!

I thought a lot of slaves didn’t actually learn they’d been freed, for a long while after the amendment was passed. Which would make any date good, as long as it’s their choice.

I mean that latter part is specifically how Juneteenth came to be, it was when slaves in Galveston TX found out they were free.

We do still celebrate Columbus Day despite virtually no one having a genuine affinity for Columbus and there being lots of good reasons not to celebrate him. The Italian American community kind of made it “their” day, which was a political concern in maintaining it for many years, but I don’t even think that’s particularly true anymore.

Dude. You revealed that your reason for posting here is to slap down liberal sheep, saying you think anyone who disagrees with you has a mental illness. Your evaluation of other posters is not going to be convincing. You can’t just attack people who disagree with you and somehow win the argument.

MrDibble is a black guy. He is a subject matter expert on what is racist towards black people. He’s explaining to a white person who has shown a lack of knowledge on the subject what the issue. And that white person is irritating him as he seems to be ignoring what he actually said and arguing other shit–i.e. he doesn’t seem to be listening.

To listen is to try and understand, not to try and argue that the other person is wrong.

I never said any of those things, and you’re fairly infamous on these boards for having posted something like 50,000 posts almost all of them mind numbingly stupid, so you can take your advice and fuck right off with it.

And Dibbie isn’t a “subject matter expert” on anything, that requires erudition and intellect which he has never demonstrated. He’s been a raging asshole and trouble maker for like 15 years or so of reading his posts on this board. I’m not sure if it’s because he’s from one of the biggest hellhole countries on earth (I wouldn’t be too thrilled with that, either), or if he’s just got perpetual little man syndrome, but I’ve never seen him contribute much of value to these boards. Instead I can find threads even from 10 years ago where all he’s doing is elbowing through otherwise good discussions raging out like a stupid bitch. I’m surprised he’s never been suspended.

Boy @Martin_Hyde for someone that wants the Pit closed you sure love using it to its fullest!