I Pit Walking Poles

I salute walking Poles!

I will sign on to this pitting, but only because of an unexplainable lifelong tendency to go for the least possible equipment for almost every activity. So I have just one pair of sneakers to cover all activities, I ski without special clothes, I bike with normal pedals not dressed as Potbellied Lance Armstrong, and I would fucking bowl barefoot if they would let me.

What type of skiing, and when you ski, is it usually with or without poles?

Fucking Bowl?

Why have I not heard of this sport before? Nobody ever tells me about the good shit.

Lug a 40-lb backpack up to 12,000 feet. You’ll see that they aren’t worthless at all.

I am Pole and so can You.

I’m with you** RickJay**. The damn things seem dangerous. Why would you want poles strapped to your wrists? What do you do if you fall down? How do you walk through shrubs and over logs with poles? It just seems weird to me.

I’ll agree with you there at least when it comes to actual skiing.

There was no way in hell I was putting those straps on my wrist, particularly as a beginner. If that pole needed to fly as I was crashing and burning, I was quite happy to let it do so.

Compare these if you are wondering why poles?

Diagonal stride on classic skis.

Diagonal stride on roller skis.

Diagonal stride without skis (impact on knees).

Diagonal stride nordic walking (low impact on knees).

Hiking boots are different from golfing shoes which are different from running shoes which are different from bowling shoes for multiple reasons. Blue jeans or khakis are not the ideal choice of pants for skiing. “Normal” bicycle pedals suck balls if you’re doing anything beyond a leisurely ride around the neighborhood. Likewise for standard shorts with no chamois and cotton T-shirts. Do helmets also offend your sensibilities?

These things improve the experience (and sometimes safety) of the user, as do walking poles. If you want to do without them, you’re more than welcome to, but the condescension towards those who use specialty equipment for the purpose it was intended really makes you sound like an asshole.

Nope, can’t get behind this pitting at all. As far as I can tell, people with walking poles are out walking or hiking for their own benefit and not yours. If they feel like spending their money on a piece of equipment that makes the experience safer, more comfortable, more efficient or even just more personally satisfying, it’s none of your goddamned business.

Curling is probably not the sport for you, then.

No. I also cross-country ski – with poles. (Scary music.) So there.

I wasn’t expressing condescension, sunshine, I was expressing a preference. You know who expresses condescension? The people who work in the stores that sell this stuff. It’s overpriced and it preys on people’s insecurities. I prefer not to use the professional elite as the measuring stick (pole?) for every human activity. I think you’re imagining the part where I’m chasing people up the trails loudly making fun of their $90 poles.

And once again, the Internet falls silent, having come up against things that are none of their business.

Dubist, its just that when I come across a person skiing along a trail while wearing jeans, it’s almost always someone who has few if any skills at skiing. It’s terrific that they are out there trying the sport sport, and hopefully they will take it up regularly.

Of course if they do take it up regularly, they’ll almost inevitably end up using clothing that lasts longer and performs better than jeans.

Just as it is silly for people who are not into a sport to purchase and wear the gear of that sport, it is also silly for people who are into a sport to avoid purchasing and wearing the gear that enhances the enjoyment of a sport. In other words, let’s keep it real, and not go down the path of affectation or counter-affectation.

I’m not talking about people who are climbing a damn mountain, I’m talking about people walking down an ordinary suburban street.

A fit twenty-something slowly walking along with poles that are performing no function? Affectation. A sixty-something moving at the same slow speed but keeping the heart rate up and using the poles to get more of a full body aerobic work out than walking without poles would provide? Keeping it real – form following function.

I’m not sure where the criticism for hiking pole use when hiking comes from. Lots of serious and casual hikers use them because they take a load off the knees, they aid in balance, then can be more efficient over distance, and they have additional uses for stream crossings and obstacles. They’re not for everyone or on every terrain, but I use them occasionally if the hike calls for it. They’re also extremely helpful snowshoeing and are used by the majority of snowshoers.

The OP isn’t targeted at any of this. He seems to be discussing alpine walking in urban and suburban settings which is a different cup of tea entirely. Some folks may need them for balance but the main purpose is to give the arms a workout. It’s a bit silly looking, same as if you saw someone race walking for exercise, but if it gets them out exercising then I’m all for it.

All gear manufacturers are looking for ways to sell more unnecessary stuff to newbies in the sport. Heck, 95% of folks have no need to drink Gatorade either.

People with knee, joint and aging issues often use them to help slow the progress of whatever could eventually, put them into a wheelchair.

But yeah, they offend your eyes, so let’s just get those people right into chairs whether it’s preventable with exercise, or not. Great plan - start getting signatures now!

You probably see people with white canes and think, “Well that looks silly - stop it!”

What about those poles that girls dance about? I’ve read great reviews about those.

One of my middle aged friends took that up last year. Holy crap, Batman, that is one hell of a workout. Hanging onto a vertical pole upside down by your legs, doing full pike sit-ups with extended arms. Mein Gott!

I used to feel that way about rugby jerseys. For a few years there, you couldn’t walk down the street without seeing someone wearing a rugby jersey. Why the fuck would a fellow wear one if he didn’t play the game?

Then I mellowed.

Please tell me that you do not wear a Maple Leaf hockey jersey. :wink:

These days, it’s Nalgenes and 'biners. Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.