I sprained my ankle last night. What do I do?

I was going down a non-moving escalator after class on my way home and my right foot slipped forwards a few steps while my left stayed behind. I ended up twisting or pulling something on my left ankle and it’s swelling somewhere under my ankle bone.

I hadn’t sprained my ankle since I was around three years old, so I have questions.

1. Was I supposed to put something on it? Ice? Because I didn’t.

2. How long will this last? Also, when I wake up tomorrow will it be worse? More swollen/achy?

3. Should I skip my 9AM-3PM shift at work tomorrow if I can deal with the pain? Would it harm my ankle?

It’s so achy and sore. :frowning:

The people who know about such things (I am not one of them) would perhaps advice RICE – Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

[QUOTE=Vision of Love]
I was going down a non-moving escalator after class on my way home and my right foot slipped forwards a few steps while my left stayed behind. I ended up twisting or pulling something on my left ankle and it’s swelling somewhere under my ankle bone.

I hadn’t sprained my ankle since I was around three years old, so I have questions.

1. Was I supposed to put something on it? Ice? Because I didn’t.

2. How long will this last? Also, when I wake up tomorrow will it be worse? More swollen/achy?

3. Should I skip my 9AM-3PM shift at work tomorrow if I can deal with the pain? Would it harm my ankle?

It’s so achy and sore. :([/QUOTE
I was an avid skateboarder for about 7 years, and I’ve sprained a few in my day. Ice is supposed to help, though it never really seemed to. Then again, I never didn’t apply ice, so I don’t know how bad it would have been. It’s been a while, but I seem to remember it being totally sore in the morning, and getting better throughout the day. It’s always worst right when you wake up and try to take a few steps.

Go see a doctor. Don’t be a retard and wait 3 years like I did the last time I sprained my ankle. I had a bunch of chips in my ankle, and they all sort of healed together by now, so the doctor can’t take them out, and I still feel pain just about every time I try to skate.

:smack:

I second the “go see a doctor,” but in the meantime, rest and ice are good. You don’t want to find out down the road you damaged it more than you think you did.

I use this method as I have crappy ankles from hockey and bike riding: