I think I just saw an old man trying to smuggle a tomato out of the grocery store

And then I shall point and laugh.

I’ve never put anything in my pocket in the grocery store, but I have walked out forgetting to pay for a few things. One time, I was in WalMart, and I’d bought an inexpensive sterling silver necklace for one of my girls. I put it in the ‘seat’ part of the cart, where it proceeded to slide down under my purse. I had quite a few items when I checked out, so I didn’t notice that the necklace wasn’t in my checkout purchase. When I got to my car, and picked up my purse, I noticed the necklace under it! Oops! I took the necklace back inside and went to the same cashier who’d rung me up previously. I explained to her what had happened, and she seemed shocked that I’d been so honest!

I’ve also, many times, opened packages in the grocery store (like packages of animal crackers so I could let whatever toddler I was shopping with nibble), and then paid for empty packages at the checkout.

I think I’ve told this story here before, but still . . .

When I was working at a 7-11 in Boulder, Colorado some time ago, a college kid tried to shoplift a burrito by sticking it down his underwear. After he’d heated it up in the microwave.

Being (then, as now) a quirky sort, I decided I’d let him keep it, but he was going to have to earn it. When he came up to the register with his five cent pack of gum and a dollar bill: Oh, I’m out of pennies! Punch the time safe for pennies. Oh, hell, I’m out of quarters, too. I hope you don’t mind waiting two minutes till I can hit the safe again. Say, how about them Buffs? Did you see the game Saturday? Pretty good, wasn’t it? I haven’t seen the weather, is it supposed to snow tonight? I can get the quarters now, here you go.

Then he walked very awkwardly into the night.

You, Sir, are evil. I bow before you! :smiley:

55 according to most senior discount plans, and maybe the AARP? I don’t feel like looking it up. But I say “old” is 65, as per tradition.

What’s wrong with being old? I don’t know, but the media sure hates it. Even incontinence supplies are sold by actors who look like they’re in their mid-40’s. Go ask Hollywood.

I used to live in Florida where there are a large number of retirees. Small restaurants near large retirement communities would not place sugar packets on their tables because the clients would take all of them. A friend of mine told me they did this because their retirement checks would not cover their monthly food and living expenses. They were just trying to cut corners everywhere and get by.

Maybe the guy just wanted food to eat?

Why was he appalled? I do this often, when I’m with my toddler and not. (He does not understand that all of those bananas are not like the bananas on the counter at home. In his mind, why would he not eat one RIGHT NOW if he is hungry?) But back to me, I am sometimes literally :wink: DYING for a diet Coke when I get into a store, and they have them sitting there in those little refrigerators looking all tempting…so I drink it while I’m shopping. I always pay for it. What’s the big deal?

I recall I went to the library and got my three books and two DVDs and headed to Walgreens. I walked over to the cashier and put my items down, paid for them walked out and was almost home and I said, "Darn I forget to get the Equal, which is why I went there as it was on sale.

As I debated whether or not to walk back and get it, I realized I had piled two boxes of it ON TOP of the library books and DVDs I was carrying, right in plain site.

I walked right up and brazenly didn’t put it down and walked right out, in front of the cashier and security and no one even noticed.

I am NOT “old”! I’m 21 with 30+ years of on-the-job experience!

Now I’ve got *Uncle Fucka *stuck in my head.