I think I just saw an old man trying to smuggle a tomato out of the grocery store

Uh, yes? 60 is old. Not ancient but old, yes. I’d say 50+ it’s acceptable to use the “old” label. What’s wrong with being old, btw?

(Uncle Leo) Come on! I’m an old man. I’m confused! I thought I paid for it. What’s my name? Will you take me home?

I was paddling a few months ago with a few friends. We were going down a creek. We came across a whipper snapper (aka middle aged guy) coming UP the creek.

He complimented us all for paddling down the creek (and apparently still breathing I guess). I returned the compliment by noting that we were doing it the easy way by going with the current, he was doing something rugged by going up current.

Then, he makes some comment like “I just hope when I am their age, I am still out doing stuff like this!!!” followed shortly by something like “What, aren’t you guys all like at least 70!!!”

Nobody there was 70, though some were close :slight_smile:

He had a beer gut so fuck him :slight_smile:

Nothing to see here, just a guy making a desperate attempt to become the subject of Craig Ferguson’s monologue.

Yes it is. I think it’s silly to put incorrect terms on it. 60 isn’t young! Hell, my mother died at 68. That’s young to die these days, but not so young we didn’t feel like she hadn’t lived a good long life.

I’m 35, so I’m sure that has something to do with it, but I do believe I’ve (just) entered the realm of middle age. Just because I might not like it doesn’t change a thing. :slight_smile:

And I have never put anything in my pockets while shopping for fear of being accused of shoplifting. I used to occasionally drink a drink or have a candy bar, then have the cashier scan it, like aceplace57, but when I got with my current SO, he was so appalled at that habit that I quit completely.

Especially a tomato! Cherry tomatoes now, that’s a different kettle of fish.

Yeah, that’s what jumped out at me from the story.

60 ain’t old. You’ll learn that some day.
mmm

“Old” is a moving target. Trust me on this one.

This thread was a lot cuter until I got to the end of the title “out of the grocery store” and realized the first part wasn’t “I think I just saw an old man trying to snuggle a tomato

More than once, I’ve gone in expecting to grab one or two items only to end up with an overflowing hand basket. So, while I’ve never resorted to putting something in my pocket, I can see how it could happen.

If it was a pack of chewing gum, I’d be more likely to assume he was trying to steal it. But a tomato is so obvious! Surely a seasoned thief would know to wear clothing (e.g. a loose fitting jacket) that would better conceal it.

No?

Maybe he ran out of hands and stuffed it in his pocket?

Ceasar salad, anyone? No…?

He might have got distracted while listening to Rio, by Duran Duran, on his iPod.

He’s just my uncle, okay???

Quoted for truth. And I’m not trying to debate here, but how is 60 not old? What do you consider it? I am not using it insultingly, but for effect - you just don’t expect a man of that…maturity to be stealing tomatoes, while buying other things.

Oh dear, I hope this doesn’t lead to harder vegetables.

It was a crime of passion.

Sure, they caught the tomato. But the cuke!

That wasn’t a cuke, he was just really happy to be there.

It will be difficult for him to get away with a watermelon unless he has a younger wife.

I do it every so often, when I run in thinking I only need a couple of things and don’t bother with a basket or a cart. So far, I haven’t forgotten about it, but I won’t be surprised if someday I do.