I think I'll buy a raffle ticket

http://www.winnaero.org/ is giving away a 1966 Cessna 172. Maybe I’ll win it. :smiley:

Yeah, I’m a sucker. But at least the money is going toward good causes. $50 is going to support the Fargo Air Museum (1964 Cessna 182G Skylane), and $50 is going to support Wings of Hope (1975 Cessna 150M).

Any idea of how many tickets they’re selling?

And what would I do with a plane I just won? There’s a little airstrip a couple miles from the house that mainly flies sailplanes, bi-planes, etc. so I imagine they have a shed I could rent space in. Or do I keep it in the back yard and tow it to the airport like a boat? What does it cost to ship a plane (and I supposed I’d have to go to the post office to drop it off due to weight/size limitations of a mailbox). Or do I find someone willing to fly it here? Would I need to find a private pilot or since I’m paying them would it need to be a commercial pilot? I’ve played a lot of flight sim over the years (most hours on the C=64 version, some on a 486 machine, mostly Flash games now), so how close am I to being able to pick it up myself?

Two of them are a maximum of 2,500 tickets, and IIRC a minimum of 1,200 tickets. Wings of Hope will have the drawing after they’ve sold all 3,000 available tickets. (Come to think of it, I bought three tix for Wings of Hope; so my donation is $125 instead of $50.)

I think these things are aimed at people who are already pilots, or else are ready to start training. The prize in one raffle includes cash that may be used for flight instruction, and another offers a ‘flight training scholarship’ (or cash, I believe). The WoH raffle includes delivery.

Anyway, I suck at raffles. How many years have I been entered in the AOPA give-away? How many years have I awaited word from Sporty’s that I’ve won their drawing? Can’t tell you. Many. And how many times have I won? That I know: Zero.

Still, I want to support aviation education; if only in a very small way. And medical airlift charities tug at the heartstrings. So I spend a couple-hundred bucks at a time when I can just about afford it. I get to daydream a little, and kids get helped out a little.

I assume you’ll be down to give lessons after you win? :smiley:

Well. I’d have to get my CFI certificate first… :wink:

And they would be short lessons if I win the 150!

Speaking of the 150M, I got an email from Wings of Hope today that they’re almost halfway to the 3,000 ticket goal. Out of the three raffles I’m in, this is the one I’d like to win.

The drawing for the Cessna 182 from the Fargo Air Museum is on the 30th. That’s the one I don’t really want to win. (Unless I could trade it to someone for an M-model or later 172.)

The 172G in the OP would be nice. I wonder how long it would take to fly from New Hampshire to the northwest corner of Washington?

If you win the plane, are you really going to be concerned with the number of days involved? :slight_smile:

The longest solo cross-country I’ve flown was WJF (Lancaster) to HND (Las Vegas). Other than that, dad and I used to fly up to Oregon (one fuel stop) from time to time. Flying literally across the country would be quite an adventure. I’ve always regretted not going with dad when he flew a 206 from Yonkers to SoCal for the CAP.

You could keep it in your driveway or even in your garage. If you’re sufficiently up-scale, you could get a home with a two-plane garage. (Note the little garage to the side for a puny little automobile or two.)

When you want to go for a spin, you just drive your airplane down the street to the runway and off you go.

What a relief! I didn’t win the Skylane! :slight_smile:

Why would I want to win it? Being a G-model, it was a ‘modern’ Skylane. Swept tail, ‘Omni-Vision’ rear window, higher gross weight. Sure, you could tell it isn’t the latest and greatest, but it’s fairly close the the 182M dad had. New paint (though they opted for the ‘Winnebago-style’ I’m not keen on), new upholstery, and a Garmin 500 in the panel. I risked $50 on it.

So why am I relieved? For one thing, there’s the taxes. I never read its ‘appraised value’, but I’m sure the taxes would be five figures. OK, that’s… doable. I’m sure my aviation-oriented credit union would loan me the money. Then there’s insurance, tie-down, etc. I’ve read that at full-tilt, a Skylane can burn 16 or 17 GPH. Ouch. But the biggest relief factor is this: The engine only has about 300 left on TBO. Not legally a factor for personal use, and that would last me years. But still a looming $20,000 (at least) expense.

I would have been overjoyed to win, but I’m not terribly disappointed I didn’t. For five sawbucks I bought a month and a half of daydreaming. And I supported a museum a little bit.

So I didn’t win the Skylane. But the Skyhawk in the OP is still available. Trouble is, they need to sell 1,200 tickets and they’ve only sold 669. They’ve extended the drawing date until January 5th.

If they don’t sell all of the tickets, they’ll refund the donation. So either someone will get an airplane, or I’ll get my money back. Maybe I’ll buy another ticket. If the raffle happens, then the education program will get some needed funds.