I think I'll spend my $14.95 elsewhere...

Rysler:

Yeah, but the thing is, the thirty-days clock starts running when someone registers. (That’s true, isn’t it? Someone correct me if I’m wrong. At the very least, it’s when a guest makes their first post.) I’m another of those people who go through lengthy periods of posting inactivity…I lurked for a couple months before making my first post, but I can easily see someone doing the reverse. That is, it’s entirely plausible to imagine someone stumbling across the board, reading it, liking what she sees, and registering to make an off-hand comment in a thread that caught her interest, all in the same day. Now she’s got thirty days to be sufficiently acclimated to the board to want to plunk down $14.95; she’s got no more leeway to lurk, look, and listen.

I’m just saying that, to the extent people are going to spontaneously register, that’s a good thing. New blood is important. And we want guests to be posting once they’ve registered. But once they register (or at least once they make their first post), they’ve got thirty days, period, to make up their minds. (And if they let their guest status lapse and then decide later on they like the place after all, they get banned when they come back. Yay!) I just think that that’s too little a time for too high an initial fee.

furt:

And the trouble with that is, most people (not me, but most people) are here principally because of the warm fuzzy stuff, the community of friends, and not the ignorance-fighting. Which forum gets by far the most activity? It sure ain’t GQ. If we were to eliminate MPSIMS, I’d wager the active board membership would decline steeply.

Besides, I’d argue it hurts the cause of fighting ignorance not to care much about the influx of newbies. Along with the “thinskinned” who don’t bother to stay, I’m sure there are a wealth of intelligent, witty, thoughtful people with expertise in various interesting fields who could contribute a hell of a lot in GQ or elsewhere. Their loss is significant.

But you don’t have to register to read. I only registered when I spontaneously wanted to post (or maybe when I wanted to search for the old Trekkies/Gay Metaphor parody thread). You can lurk all you want before (and after) registering.

One suggestion has been to limit the number of posts someone makes to, say, 50, and not base it on time, but I think that would discourage Guests from using up their free posts, and we want to encourage discourse. What if they’re an expert in something in GD and can’t respond as they should?

I can see someone registering, posting once, and then reading for another year before paying and posting again.

Really? I don’t think it’s too bad. Most message boards have a high turnover of members, with many signing up for the board and then never even posting. Over the course of the years that this site has been running, it’s only to be expected that many more people join than participate. Which brings me to the point that it’s not the ex-members who make the community, it’s the current members. The ex-members who didn’t like it, left. The current members who do like it, stay. For their own reasons, some of the current members who don’t like it stay as well. Perhaps what I should have said is “If you don’t like it, feel free to follow the example set for you by 43,000 ex-members”? But that’s hardly fair, as the 43,000 includes people who registered and then forgot to come back, people who registered more than once, people who were banned, trolls, sock puppets, people who’ve died, people who got sick of overworking the hamsters, people who’ve got a zillion other reasons for not being here anymore despite the fact that they like the place. Meanwhile, 4,000 are paid members and there are still hundreds of regularly active posters.

The “If you don’t like it, leave” attitude of my post was in reaction to the tone of the OP. If someone actually makes an effort to fit in and asks why things are the way they are, I wouldn’t take such a tone with them. The smart-arse attitude of the OP, criticizing something she’s barely scratched the surface of, is annoying and doesn’t deserve a thoughtful reply. If her other community is so wonderful, then why is she wasting her time posting here? Clearly, she’s just an attention seeker who is either convinced that everyone in the world shoud change to suit her, or who thinks it’s clever to belittle other people’s interests, or who was hoping for a string of posts begging her to stay. Why would we want a member like that anyway?

Now, if someone genuinely seems interested in the boards but confused or concerned about certain aspects of it, I’d be happy to encourage them to stay and to take the time to make them feel welcome. Someone who has already made up her mind and is just throwing out parting shots is an entirely different beast.

Her first thread was about how she didn’t like that she couldn’t search.

She didn’t read the FAQ.

She posts a “goodbye this board sucks” thread.

She should protect that ass from that door.

True, but, as you then go on to say…

See, this is the problem, I think. “Lurking” alone doesn’t give you a feel for this place–it’s interacting with other dopers, through posting, that does. It’s great that guests can post, but, if their experience is negative, as it has been for quite a few–the person I mentioned in the earlier post wasn’t the only friend I’ve known who’s got a lot to contribute but has refused to return after putting up with unwarranted crap–there’s little incentive to return.

Yeah, but how many people would do that? It would be like buying a season ticket for a football team, attending the first game, deciding it wasn’t enjoyable, then buying another season ticket the next year.

I have no problem with the subscription rates themselves. Ed Zotti made the reasons for the rates perfectly clear, and I’ve got no problem with them. In fact, I have said here and elsewhere that I thought the rates could actually be higher than they are–if that would better secure the future of the SDMB, and provide more services, I’d gladly pay it. And if “more services” would attract more newbies, I’d be all for that too. But this place IMHO has been suffering from a lack of blood lately–not just new faces, but new ideas. I don’t know what the answer is, but I sense there’s discontent out there, and count me in as one of the discontented.

It’s not about being offended by an attack; it’s about irritation with someone who appears to be incredibly self-centered. No, the admins don’t care about someone who doesn’t bother to read the FAQ and can’t cough up some money to pay - the board costs money to run, and if you’re not willing to pay, why would anyone here care about your opinion?

Everyone has opinions; the irritating thing is that certain folks seem to expect everyone else’s world to turn around their judgment.

I for one like the fact that you can’t edit posts. I just wish people didn’t feel the need to post again to explain to the rest of us that “teh” actually meant “the”.

Oh, Yeah?

Well, I’m sick of people using that as an example of what other posters do because I have never seen anyone post to correct teh spelling of hte word ‘the’.
Dammit.

OOOPS, teh and hte should both be ‘the’.

Actuially, it depends on how you measure. GQ has by far the most threads of any forum, with 90,732. MPSIMS, with 60,261, is a distant second. It’s true that MPSIMS has more posts (988,803 vs. 1,229,566), but much of that can be attributed to ridiculous 20-page game threads that only a dozen or so people participate in.

Pretty much.

Loopus: Point taken. I’ll amend my statement, then, to say that in my experience most people here value the warm and fuzzy ‘community’ aspect of the boards at least as much as they do the ignorance-fighting.

Here’s how I see it, by the way:

Ignorance-Fighting Forums, in Descending Order
General Questions
Comments on Cecil’s Columns
Comments on Staff Reports
About the Message Board (doesn’t really fit anywhere, but still)
Great Debates
The BBQ Pit
Cafe Society
In My Humble Opinion
MPSIMS

Social Forums, in Descending Order
MPSIMS
Cafe Society
The BBQ Pit
In My Humble Opinion
About the Message Board (see above)
Great Debates
General Questions
Comments on Cecil’s Columns
Comments on Staff Reports

Given that Cafe Society and IMHO haven’t been around as long as the other forums, they’re more than holding their own, activity-wise.

Point of order–the BBQ Pit is an anti-social forum.

I know that was a joke (and a funny one), but I actually disagree. Nothing binds true believers together more effectively than the burning at the stake of heretics. :slight_smile: The Pit fosters more sense of belonging and community than, arguably, any other forum but MPSIMS. The only reason I put Cafe Society ahead of it is that the Pit yields a charged and volatile togetherness. As long as you’re the Pitter rather than the Pittee, all is right with the world. Even being Pitted can be cathartic. And surely, banding together to bitch at the small annoyances and injustices of the world is nothing if not social.

Or even get noticed :wink:

As in me (Ford) not FaerieBeth or CanvasShoes :smack:

Personally, I paid the $4.95 for GQ alone, and will continue to pay for GQ alone.
As for giving newbies a hard time, I guess you guys don’t spend much time over at SA. If you post right around your date of register you will admonished endlessly for not lurking enough. Thats right, you basically have to register first THEN wait several months before your first posting. Then you have to hope that a completely random crowd of people finds your post amusing. People are banned left, right and centre at that board.

I think the SDMB is quite welcoming to newbies. However, I do feel the $14.95 price is over the top and far more likely to dissuade newbies than encourage them to join.

Um…I just wanted to post my two cents about someone who actually did quit. This is how it went:

**Elenia25 ** lurks for two years. She finally signs up.

Board makes announcement that this will soon be a pay site.

**Elenia25 ** falls for a silly April Fool’s Day joke.

A couple of posters come in and rather than helping her find her fight ignorance, jump all over her ass, sneering and making fun of her and dragging another innocent poster in. It was in the Pit, so it was mostly her own fault.

**Elenia25 ** loses the temper she has worked all her life to master and swears to never ever post again.

**Elenia25 ** goes back to lurking. Realizes she was wrong, that there are lots and lots and LOTS of nice people here, that there’s all kind of stuff she’d like to discuss with these people. Books. Music. Art. Stupid questions. Life, the Universe, and Everything.

**Elenia25 ** signs up as Elenia28, kills her old user name. (Well I’m 28 not 25 anymore).

A kind soul signs **Elenia28 ** up, **Elenia28 ** sends her the money.

**Elenia28 ** is welcomed with affection, greetings, and camraderie. **Elenia28 ** does a :smack: for realizing she took at face value something that was much deeper and more profound.

So, in summary, I love the Staright Dope. Yes, there are some losers here. Yes, I am damn scared of **Lynn ** and will do my very best not to ever piss her off. I had the chance to pay $4.95 and ended up paying $14.95 and I don’t regret it.

Just a viewpoint from someone who genuinely didn’t like the SDMB at one time.

You’ve seen what we can do to somone we love. You, we don’t even like!

(smashes a coke bottle in NoClueBoy’s face, turns to Principessa:slight_smile:

You’ve seen what we can do to somone we love. You, we don’t even like!