I wanna blow up Jupiter!!!

If I took a Hydrogen Bomb to Jupiter and sent it into the planet’s core (Lets just say I have my own space program, my own nuke, and technology to make the payload able to withstand both the firery re-entry and the chrushing pressures of the planet’s interior.)
If my nuke detonates at the core, will the resulting fusion reaction spread throuought the planet and ignite into a new star?

I believe assuming that it could become a new star is oversimplification of what it takes to create a star/be a star.

Stars are huge balls of plasma and have properties that go far beyond simple chain reaction explosions of the hydrogen variety.

Stars are burning, not so much exploding. Hopefully, someone will come along and explain this a bit better than me.

No new star.

Although, Jupiter is “star like”.

Fusion is not a self-sustaining reaction like a fission chain reaction is. In fission an atom is split and two particles speed away and split two atoms which now have four particles speeding away and so on…chaon reaction. In fusion two atoms form a larger atom but do nothing to help a neighboring atom fuse.

A hydrogen bomb is actually an atomic bomb (fission bomb) wrapped around some hydrogen. The fission reaction provides the self sustaining energy to get fusion going. In the extreme pressure and temperature at the center of the a-bomb explosion fusion is able to take place. Once the pressure lets up fusion stops.

So, in order to turn Jupiter into a star you’d need to add enough mass to cause it to collapse under its own weight. Once the pressure at the core is high enough fusion will start and you have a star. To do this, however, I think you’d have to add about 11 more Jupiters to the one we have to make it go.

Jupiter wouldn’t even blink at the entire worldwide arsenal of nuclear weapons detonated simultaneously somewhere inside of it.

Stars do not burn, that is a chemical process. The “fire” is fusion of hydrogen, continuous hydrogen bombs if you will. The chain reaction is sustained by the density of the star as a reult of its mass. Jupiter doesn’t have the mass to do that.

Here’s a handy little site if you want to try “Jupiter go boom” with non-nuclear “conventional” weapons.

Read “Dark Sun” by Richard Rhodes about the creation of the hydrogen bomb.

If you set off a nuke inside of Jupiter a small amount of the hydrogen will go off, but not much. The fusion will not sustain for several reasons:

1. Jupiter is Hydrogen, not Deuterium, it takes a lot more heat/pressure to get hydrogen to fuse.

2. The force of the explosion will push the fuel away snuffing out the reaction.

3. As the Hydrogen heats up it radiates more which cools it down. This was the problem discovered with the first H-Bomb designs. It was solved by using essentially two fission bombs to squeeze the deuterium/tritium to get a sustaining reaction.

Read 2010, the sequel to 2001. One of its major plot points was the blowing up of Jupiter in more or less the fashion described by Jeff_42. (But not by us–humans, that is.)