I want to live in Canada

I really want to live overseas and work for 12 months. I think the experience would be wonderful. About 12 months ago I started the paperwork, and Oh Wow! I think they don’t want me :frowning: . That said, I’m about to start the process again - my question is, where should I live? Bear in mind I have never seen snow. Or sleet, or much cold stuff at all. I am not biased towards Canada, it just appeals to me. Where else should I go? I have a Bachelor of Business degree and a Bachelor of Arts Degree and 13 years in Political Administration. I have to have to job before Canada will let me in, but where do I start looking? Help me Dopers! All advice appreciated.

The OP wants some opinions rather than the factual answer to a question. Let’s try IMHO.

samclem GQ moderator

Well, Canada is great! Although I may be slightly biased. :smiley: You’ll love snow. It’s cold but fun.

Other than that, I’ll wait for more employment knowledgeable dopers to come along.

You said you have never seen snow or sleet, but not if you WANT to. There are a lot of places in Canada that have relatively mild winters and very warm summers. And of course there are places where you can regularly get dumped on.

Have you considered a school instead of a job? My sister-in-law is actually in Australia right now at school for many of the same reasons you want to come here. Just a thought.

As for work, I hear Alberta has lots of jobs for anyone who can swing a hammer riht now. Ontario’s urban areas have less I believe.

I guess it depends on what you want to do and see. If you want to experience Canada I guess you want to live in a “hub” city like Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal.

That’s quite expensive though. Maybe consider a smaller city like Hamilton (just 30 minutes outside of Toronto but at 1/3rd the cost of living).

How old are you, do you still qualify for the work travel visa? Thats how my sister (a Canadian) got to live in Australia and so did one of my friends but you have to be under 32 I think.

3% unemployment in Calgary right now. The only people who aren’t working are those who don’t want to, won’t, or can’t. Anyone who wants to pretty much can. On the other side of the equation rentals are pretty much non-existent, and the average house sells for ~$400K CDN.

From my friends who went and joined the EI Ski team out whistler way, they say it is full of Aussies. Many of whom appeared to come for a visit that lasted 12 months (oops).

Can you qualify for the Working Holidaymaker program?

Canada isn’t all snow. There are palm trees in the Gulf Islands between mainland BC and Vancouver Island; there is or was a banana plantation near Osoyoos, BC (in the Okanagan Valley, at the northern tip of the Sonoran Desert biome); and Victoria, BC, is warm and sunny. These are exceptions, though. (And notice that they are all in southwestern BC. This is not a coincidence.)

OTOH, Montreal is pretty cool. :slight_smile:

I think we could answer your question better if you gave us a few more details. Why does Canada appeal to you? What kind of features are you looking for in your non-work life? Big city or countryside? What kind of weather would you like to experience/could you stand experiencing? I’m happy you appreciate our country (welcome, eh!), but the first thing I have to advise you is that we’re not a monolithic entity in the Northern part of North America. :slight_smile: