I want to start my own makeshift intranet!

I came up with the idea a few years back of starting my own ISP from scratch, so I could connect to the web without suckling on the teet of the big providers. I can’t find my original post, but basically that idea was a non-starter, as explained by the helpful posters here.

Then I read this:

Ignore the NSA nonsense, as I’m not trying to hide from the man. But the idea of starting a local, city-wide intranet is just about the neatest thing I’ve ever heard. This article has got me giddy.

I tried google translating the Athenian net’s homepage, but I’m still not clear on what sort of equipment such a project would entail.

Has anyone tried doing this? It seems like the logical culmination of all the things I spent my free time with in high school–short wave, ham radio, dial up internet, USENET–and I would love to see what I could put together!

Mostly looking for anecdotes or personal experiences in this thread, but if any of you had a how-to-do-it expertise, it would be most welcomed! :slight_smile:

I don’t know how up-to-date it is these days as much of their stuff was last updated a couple of years back, but Locustworld’s MeshAP system is probably along the lines of what you’re thinking of. They’ve done quite a few projects in rural England and elsewhere where users effectively share a leased line to the intertubes via wifi. ISTR they were doing some interesting stuff with SMS and VOIP routing within the mesh as well.

http://www.locustworld.com

That’s great! Thanks so much.