I watched Brokeback Mountain this weekend

Ooh, it’s getting pretty close. You might have to give back the toaster soon.

Geoffrey Chaucer to the Pearl Poet: “I WOLDE I KNEWE HOW OF THEE I MIGHT BE QUITTEN!” http://houseoffame.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_houseoffame_archive.html

:confused: There’s gay action in Flight 93?!

I took it as a feeling of exasperation, like when someone you love causes you no end of grief but you love them anyway. Except it was on a greater order of maginitude. Difficult to articulate, which makes it such a great line.

You betcha.

Count me in with everyone else who says they’ll not forget it. Just watched it.

sniffles

And here’s a tidbit for you :

If you turn the volume way up when Ennis has the shirts in his hands and is breathing in the scent, you can hear him whisper “I love you” just as he’s exhaling. It only lasts a second. Watch his mouth closely. I don’t think it even shows up on the captioning.

I saw it once in the theatre and five times so far on DVD. Ol’ Brokeback got us good.

I noticed in the other really long thread that most people thought that Eniss wasn’t really all that gay or definitaly not as gay as Jack Nasty. I think people miss out on the fact that

Ennis cruises Jack in the parking lot in the first few scenes of the movie

Ennis admits that he has spoken more to Jack in a short time than he has in the whole year past.

That a young Ennis witnessed the aftermath of a brutal beating and castration of a gay ranch hand. Ennis suspects that his own father did it. He may have been effemminate youngster and learned very early on to hide it. He even asked Jack if he was afraid people looked at him and knew their secret.

He barely ever talked for fear of giving away his secret desires.

He married Alma, the first girl he ever talked to in an effort to show the world he is straight

He refused to wear a condom b/c he wanted to get her pregnant (to show the world that he is straight)

He even tells Eniss that he’s having sex with the waitress in order to show Jack that he isn’t gay.

He’s subliminates his desire for sex with men with fistfights with men.

He drinks too much. He nearly kills Alma when she finally confronts him about him being gay.

He knows all about spit lube.

HE’S AS GAY AS JACK’S MOUSTACHE!!! Beautiful movie but it irritates me that people can’t accept that Ennis is as gay as Jack. It was robbed of it’s Oscars. Maybe if Alma had done a “silent scream” when she discovered the two passionatly kissing it would have won.

I just have to add one small thing; this scene:

Was really hot. Two very good-looking guys casing each other out, in cowboy gear, with beat-up old trucks and the scene that was set?

A girl’s dream.

I just saw it for the first time this weekend, too. It was great. The only flaw I found in the movie was that Ennis was such a fuckin’ mumbler! I had a real hard time following his half of the dialog. Other than that, beauty.

Subtitles.

Mumbler, maybe. But spot-on accurate. That sort of mumbling stiff-jawed talk is common around working class men who approach language as something to be distrusted.

Oh, I agree it’s accurate…I just wish they found a happy medium between realism and getting the point across. I’ll have to remember the subtitles next time. And there will be a next time.

:confused: It was nominated for eight Oscars, and won three.

For Best Screenplay (Adapted), Best Director, and Best Original Score. The paranoid idea that Academy members were frightened by Brokeback’s gay theme just doesn’t wash. Winners in the Best Picture category are reportedly often decided by only a few votes.