I Weep for the Future.

Likewise, Sam uses “drownded.” I imagine that Tolkien was putting those words into his (Sam’s) mouth to illustrate Sam’s bumpkinate qualities.
Bumpkin-like?
Bumpkinalicious?
Bumpkinesque?

“no acceptions”

“for all intensive purposes”

“should of”

“Should/Could/Would of” <------this is the result of people writing what they hear instead of realizing it’s a contraction. I can’t help thinking that it’s also a result of people not reading enough. Writing what one hears doesn’t even come close to seeing the actual correct words in print.

What’s worse: “Should have went,” “Could have did,” etc.

Irregardless.

And a cat getting “spaded.”

And I hear people on the local news (whose job is to communicate) talking about “still mills” and “18-willers.”

And my all-time favorite: “nup-choo-ul.” (Hint: the word is “nuptial,” not “nuptual.”)

Good timing…I just heard from a friend who says he saw a sign in a front yard advertising a “Hugh Sale.”

My friend wondered if Hugh knew about it.

And of course, every f***ing network now has “commentators” who “commentate”. Sigh. Too late to stop that one.

When doing basic math, you subtract one number from another. You do not ‘minus’ them. Minus is not a, it is a preposition or a noun. Many times you can turn those types of words into verbs. Minus is not one of them. (dedicated to my father, who has a masters degree in engineering and still does not get it.)

Apparently my brain isn’t quite functioning today. I don’t think I’ve ever heard ‘heighth’, but I can’t begin to fathom how you mispronounce ‘height’. I’m so confused…

Every time I feel dumb, stories like this make me feel much better about myself.

The next time that girl goes to the beach, I hope she brungs an inner tube to supporter her in the water, so she doesn’t get drownded.

It’s a ‘moo’ point. You know, like a cow’s opinion…

Politicians are famous for mispronunciation (mispronounciation? :wink: ). I suspect that at least one reason Ted Kennedy was never nominated for the presidency is that he can’t say President of the United States. It always comes out something like “prezuneyestay.” He’s not the only one, and it bugs me when I hear it. It’s five words with nine syllables, Senator, not one four-syllable word.

And I did say it’s at least one reason. :smiley:

I was browsing a copy of Reader’s Digest today at work and they had a quote from Mike Tyson which said something about “fading into Bolivian”

There were several other good one’s but that’s the only one that stuck with me.

At the Sydney Olympics, the half witted comeentators decided that they would like a new term. In the pool, if a competitor won a medal, the didn’t, umm, win a medal. They ‘medalled’. I gave away watching the television after a while.

I was in Barnes & Noble today and saw this book:

Business Lunchatations: How an Everyday Guy Became One of America’s Most Colorful CEOs…and How You Can, Too!

I couldn’t bring myself to even pick it up and flip through the pages.

Someone criticizing Ted Kennedy’s articulation? Oh you’ve got to be kidding. I’m from Boston (where even the owls say ‘whom’). Compare Senator Ted’s speaking skills to a certain Commander In Chief whose mispronounceables and total lack of knowledge deserve more than just its own thread - it would require a new SDMB category.

Okay someone mentioned newscasters and other people who commentate and the mistakes they make. How about those meterologists and the way they talk about the weather in the Artic ?

How about mushmouth Tom Brokaw ? This guy earned millions in annual salary and you’d think he could have improved his articulation.

It’s good to know that we on the SDMB are much better then that.

Yes, we are way more cooler than that Brokaw dude.

I remember reading about the origin of normalcy when I saw your post. Politicians may not be Shakespeare, but they do contribute, accidentally.

Warren G. Harding, Campaign Speech at Boston (1920)
Harding was a dark-horse contender for the presidency in 1920. Formerly the editor of a Marion, Ohio, newspaper, Harding had served only one term in the U.S. Senate when he was nominated as the Republican candidate for president. He conducted a stay-at-home, front-porch campaign in which he identified himself with the common man and the virtues of small-town life. In the following speech, delivered before business leaders in May 1920, Harding articulated the growing reaction against progressive legislation and intervention in foreign affairs. In the course of the address, he misread “normality,” pronouncing it “normalcy,” and thus coined the slogan for the Republican administrations of the 1920s.

A friend of mine was working a temp job at the SMU admissions office. Part of her job was entering prospective student’s major choices. The top two were teachering and lawayering. Talk about making your brain explode.

I just like Calvin’s (of Calvin and Hobbes, not John Calvin) bit about making nouns into verbs:

“Verbing weirds language.”

[sub]I’ll admit I do this often. I apologize to all of you. Don’t hurt me. [/sub]

I’ve run into this one recently - taunt for taut, as in “Hold that rope taunt.” Heavy, heavy sigh.

Some of my personal favourites are esculator and perculator. Hey, let’s take words and make them harder to pronounce.

(a35362, onvelope is a common, correct pronunciation. That’s how I and most people around here say it. I say vahse for vase, too.)

Move a little closer to the front of the classroom. I believe that MissourUH is how most people who actually live in the state pronounce it.

Besides, proper nouns are pretty much up for grabs with pronunciation.

Some of you might want to check your Webster’s before you lower the boom on varying pronunciations of ask and nuclear. The “axe” pronunciation of ask is from a Cavalier English dialect and has been in use in this country a long time. “Noo-cu-lar” makes me cringe, but it’s just a dialect too.

We need to get over ourselves.

SOUTHmore.

:mad: