I went to Borders!!!!!!

I bought “Adam’s Curse: A Future Without Men” by Bryan Sykes (the 7 Daughters of Eve guy). From what I can tell so far, it’s about the Y chromosome and how it’s supposedly doomed to be extinct someday. Being merely a wannabe science geek, I understand just enough of it to be convinced of three things:

1. The more I read stuff like this, the more I realize how much I don’t know.

2. We will never be able to unravel all the mysteries of DNA, or even come close.

3. There is NO WAY we just “happened.” We are too perfectly formed to be random.
    That’s not why I started this thread, though, so let’s not go off on a tangent.

I just wanted to bask in the happy feeling I get when I have a new book to read.

bask bask

Is there a word for it? You’re going about your day, things aren’t going too well but then suddenly you remember that you have an interesting book waiting for you at home. Everything, suddenly, doesn’t seem so bad. You’re more willing to go through the icky mundane stuff because you know when you get home, there’s lots of words to be read.

It’s like I get this buzz when I’m at the cash register at Borders (the Borders Buzz?). Sure, I’m spending too much money, but I’m buying a BOOK! I’m going to LEARN something that I didn’t know when I woke up this morning! And I get to keep what I’ve bought and read it over and over.

Ok, I’m a nerd. So sue me.

I love this buzz!. I work at a not-bad bookstore, and, come payday, I spend a fair ammount of my time inspecting the books, picking one to buy. Wonderful fun. The only thing better than that is random book purchases - when you can say to yourself: ‘I don’t have anything to read on the bus home, better pick out a book or two’. It’s a tingly, excited feeling.

None of which compares to the ‘Oh my GOD - I didn’t know there was a sequal!’ shock-buy, as happened to me yesterday, picking up the second book of Abarat and shrieking out loud in the shop.

Hey Abbie, looks like I’m a geek too! We could form a club…

Look, agreed that this about the buzz you get from a bookstore, but it’s not really about art/entertainment per se. It is, however, definitely a “Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share,” so I’m moving it to that forum.

Not random. Next time you go to Borders, pick up “The Blind Watchmaker” by Richard Dawkins. Or “Climbing Mount Improbable” by same. This is not a hijack or a tangent: these books will give you the same buzz you describe in the OP. You will learn something you didn’t know before.

Although I like Borders, I prefer non chain book stores. There’s this book store in Westborough MA called Tatnuck Bookseller. There is another branch in Worcester but that one is too artsy fartsy. They have more knick-nacks than books. The one in Westborough is dedicated to books alone! I love it. I spent about 2 hours in the children’s section alone when I was trying to find a gift for my book fairy kid. I never even made it over to the adult section. Unfortunatley, Tatnuck is about 2 hours away from where I live. :frowning:
I have no new books. I think I’ll have to go to the store after I get out of school today.

I go to Borders almost every single week. I love to read. :slight_smile:

i wondered into borders yest. to kill some time before i met a friend for dinner. i figured i would pick up a paperback or two for the storm today.

ended up with 3 books and some titles to order from amazon.

warm and happy, eating corn pops and a pile of books to read!

My liver and its inability to properly process cholesterol would tend to disagree with you, as would my amblyopic right eye. If humans were designed, they were actually manufactured in a third-world sweatshop assembly line with no quality assurance department, and shipped without a warranty.

Oops. Sorry, you managed to find one of my “buttons”. I’ll stop now.

I just bought two books from Barnes and Noble yesterday- Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King, and Coalescent by Stephen Baxter. Man, I love having new books.

This is the first year, to my recollection, that I didn’t get 3-4 bookstore gift cards. I hadn’t realized how much I truly enjoyed the spate of guilt-free bookshopping I went through every January. :frowning: