I wish that I knew what I know now when I was younger.

Well, I am 21 and I guess more than a little naive and ignorant about the ways of the world, so what advice can you give me? What pearls of wisdom do you wish that you could have given to your 21 year-old self? I am serious, I would really like to take advantage of the many years of accumulated life experience on this board. So even if your advice is as simple as “Drink 8 glasses of water a day”, “learn how to do your own taxes” or “be sure to wear sunscreen” I will be glad for it.

1. Take your vitamins.
  2. Don’t commit yourself until you are sure.
  3. Don’t follow the crowd.
  4. Be honest with yourself.
  5. Remember that happiness is a personal choice, made everyday.
  6. Sometimes reading a good book and munching cookies is all you need to do at that moment.

:wink:

What your parents think of you is more important than what your peers think of you. Neither one is more important than what you really feel about yourself, though.

Well let’s see. What have I learned in the 3 years since I was 21?

Don’t get complacent about your age and how much time you’ve got. It seems like only yesterday that I was 21. Yet 3 whole years have gone.

Don’t waste time on unhealthy relationships… you’ll know them when you’re in them… even if you are making excuses for it at the time.

Get all the education you can!

Take good care of your body… it is the only one you get :slight_smile:

Oh and wear sunscreen :wink:

The most important thing I could possibly say to my 21-year-old self is this: “On or about October 4, 1997, you will recieve an invitation to dinner via e-mail. Do not accept.

Uh, that one probably doesn’t help you very much, does it? I guess the second most important thing would be “Don’t be afraid of doing stuff alone.”

What happened at dinner on or about the 4th of October 1997? If you don’t mind me asking.

Grab the tiger by the tail.

I just wish I knew now what I’ll know in 15 years.

First date with a person who turned out to be Evil Incarnate.

If I could go back 28 years to when I was 21, and tell myself what I know now, it would be:

1. Get that damn collage degree, at any cost.

2. Start an IRA type of retirement account and deposit 5% of your paycheck for the first 9 years, then add 1% each year till you hit 10 %. Don’t stop making those deposits.

3. Buy a house. Renting sux.

If I knew at 21 what I know now, I’d tell myself:

1. If you get a chance to travel somewhere you’ve never been, grab it! You never know when the chance will come up again.

2. Never assume that the rest of the world thinks the way you do. And don’t try to persuade people to change their beliefs just because you think they’re silly.

3. VOTE! You have no right to complain about the government if you didn’t help elect it!

4. Donate blood regularly! One of these years you might need some, and only then will you realize how important it is for ordinary people to donate regularly. <Note to Self: Get your ass down to the Blood Center on Monday, you’re 2 weeks overdue!>

5. Get that college degree, no matter the cost!

6. Accept gracefully what life hands you. Sometimes you’ll get what you think you really, really don’t want, only to discover that it’s the best thing that ever happened to you.

7. Enjoy live music.

Nothing good ever happens after 1:00 AM.

This refers to being out in public. A lot of good stuff happens in private after 1:00 AM.

F L O S S !
Never underestimate the theraputic effects of a nice, long bubblebath. (It doesn’t matter if you’re male or female and it’s not silly.)

Try to be silly at least once a day.

Stay away from angry people.

Smile.

Take lots of pictures - but make sure someone you love is the focus. (Anyone can take a picture of the Eiffel Tower - Having your SO in the picture is what makes it special.)

Make Memories.

Don’t be afraid to dream.

Don’t compromise on what’s REALLY important to you.

Buy good furniture.

Recycle.

Hell, I’m glad I didn’t know at 21 what I know now; I’d have killed myself! And I’m damn glad I don’t know now what I’ll know at 60, should I live that long.

Save 10% or more of every damn dollar you get your hands on. Don’t ever put the savings in a joint account. Don’t even tell anyone you have those savings. You work for the money, pay yourself first.

To thine ownself be true and all that.

I would tell my 21-year-old self, " In about a year you will meet a redhead who will knock you off your pins. Save it until you marry her…and then DON’T MARRY HER!!!

:wink: That was almost forty years ago. I’m over it now. Honest!

If I had known at 21 that my mother would die 7 years later, I would have paid more attention to loving her and appreciating her presence in my life.

In no particular order,

Credit cards are not free money.

Maybe you don’t need one more drink.

Louder is not always better.

It really can happen to you.

Listen to everyone’s theories, but decide for yourself.

When you are worried about what people think of you, remind yourself that they are probably not thinking about you at all.

Most of the things you worry about don’t come to pass, anyway.

Always be fair and honest in your dealings with other people; Take the high road.

Avoid addictive behaviors: excessive drinking, smoking, gambling, spending money

Believe in yourself.

Be somebody you would want to be around…don’t complain all the time, or be negative and whiney.

If you have a significant other, and it doesn’t work out, it wasn’t meant to be…You really wouldn’t want someone who is just with you out out of obligation and doesn’t really think you are wonderful.

Realize that no matter what you do, there are going to be people who don’t like you…These people are not the ones you want to try and please.