I won £5!

In this thread about the flavors of British crisps, I learned of the existence of Marmite crisps. Being one who enjoys both unusual flavors of chips (or crisps, if you insist) and the delicious, unctuous, paste known as Marmite, I had to order some to my home here in the Midwest of the USA.

My package arrived this weekend, and when the outer packaging alerted me that my multi-pack offered the possibility of winning a Pay Day Baller (really) prize of anywhere from £5 to £28,200, you can imagine my excitement!

Well, I have given away the result in the thread title. One of the small bags of chips inside was a Golden Bag with a crisp £5 note folded neatly inside. I’m lucky I didn’t win more, because the contest is only open to residents of the UK, however I have no plans to return the money due to my ineligibility. Also, the winning bag was just plain salted chips, so I was cheated of one bag of Marmite-flavored, but it turns out they don’t taste much like Marmite.

There you have it, possibly the most mundane and pointless post I’ve ever written in MPSIMS.

Hopefully you got one of the new plastic fivers. The old paper ones went out of legal tender on the 5/5/17 - or for Americans 5/5/17.:dubious:

Fear not though: You can exchange obsolete (English - don’t know about British) currency at the bank of England at any time.

TCMF-2L

Not mundane or pointless at all! As an American who has tried Marmite (and didn’t like it, so my hat is off to you), but acknowledges its popularity among other nations of the Empire upon which at one time the sun never set, I am riveted by the idea of Marmite-flavored crisps/chips.

I love the idea of attaching a popular flavor to a convenience food. I’ve seen shrimp (prawn) flavored crisps. I’m trying to think of other flavors that could be mixed with potato chips. Anchovy, maybe? Soy sauce? Snail, for the gourmets? And for the Minnesota Lutherans: lutefisk-flavored-chips/crisps.

BTW, congrats on the illegal win! :slight_smile:

<< In 2013, Cheesy Garlic Bread potato chips beat out fellow finalists, Chicken and Waffles potato chips and Sriracha potato chips. (Some observers feel strongly that Chicken and Waffles got robbed.)

In 2014, Kettle Cooked Wasabi Ginger beat out Cheddar Bacon Mac & Cheese, Wavy Mango Salsa and Cappuccino.

In 2015, Southern Biscuits & Gravy beat out Kettle Cooked Greektown Gyro, New York Reuben and Wavy West Coast Truffle Fries.&gt;&gt;

You’ll have to wait till the summer to see what 2017 brings!

Got any of them marmite crisps left that you don’t need, Augie? I could stop by next week on my way home from work to take 'em off your hands. Need any 4 year old swiss? Or some marmite to make the crisps more marmitey? I discovered a major local grocery chain just down the road from you does carry marmite.

Or we could go in together on a shipment of Marmite XO!

;-D

:eek:

I had no idea. Ignorance fought today.

Worcester sauce (Pronounced “wuss-ter”) is a crisp flavour. That’s an anchovy sauce. Pretty sure soy sauce flavour is a thing too. Not sure about the others. :slight_smile:

Congrats OP on your windfall.

Did you have his kind of detergent pack? Did you tell him to get off of your cloud?

QtheM - Here you go. Amazon has everything.

StG

I’m banking on Tuna Casserole. The tricky bit is that the chips are all crushed into crumbs.

Thanks, but they’d taste better if I was eating them with August West. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

The last time I clicked an Amazon link in a dope thread, it was for ashes, in varying quantities by multiple sellers, to be used for religious ceremonies on Ash Wednesday.
Between that and the link above, my “suggested” things when I log into Amazon are getting … Weird. :smiley:

Sorry for the late reply, we should definitely plan for a meeting!

I just notified my Kiwi cousin a few weeks ago that I am out of Sanitarium Marmite, so I hope she is in the process of getting some shipped to me right now!

:::Checks stash::: whew, I have tens (I’m planning on going back anyway and I figured I wanted some spending cash at the airport.) Wikipedia says they’re scheduled to be replaced next year – if so I might just have to exchange them and then take the double exchange hit when I go back.