Ice Cream Trucks And Carts in 2024

I haven’t seen an ice cream truck driving around since the 90s.

We had one that came around regularly when I was a kid. You got Italian ice if you didn’t have much money; I think those cost 15 cents.

I didn’t get chocolate-covered ice cream bars or Fudgesicles because my dad liked those and we had them in freezer :slight_smile: along with orange sherbet on occasion. My mom also made popsicles with Kool-Aid for me and my friends.

I liked the orange Push-Up pops and the chocolate-covered ice cream bars with toasted almonds or toffee pieces. Creamsicles were a revelation. I make Creamsicle ice cream now.

Bomb Pops became all the rage when those started to be offered - I think those might have been 35 cents.

Those used to come around our part of the DC 'burbs; haven’t heard “hello” in a long time.

I also used to hear the “hello? + unidentifiable song” version in Toronto, but they stopped a couple of years ago.

I was trying to think of the song that the Good Humor truck played, and I just remembered that they didn’t have a song- they had bells the driver would ring.

A million years ago when I got my first answering machine, I went nuts trying to find the Mr. Softee song to use as my message. I remember through the mists of time a vague memory of coming to The Dope to ask. So long ago was this that Cafe Society didn’t exist. If I cared enough to find out how to change my phone’s ringtone to something already on my phone, I’d try again.

Not all grocery stores stocked (or stock) everything that’s available.

At any rate, there were more than those few I mentioned, but the selection was severely limited relative to today’s selection.

And I’m lumping those frozen plastic tubes in with popsicles. Our most common popsicle were the Blue Bell Bullets, but the house brand equivalents weren’t far behind.

Do they have wheels? Of course we race them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-wuQ9Z4wGo

Truck just drove down the street playing Little Brown Jug. Wonder how they pick the tunes to play and who dredged THAT one up?

In the 60s an ice cream truck would come through the neighborhood every once in a while. There was never a scheduled time or day so we were always caught off guard. Half of the time, by the time we ran around looking/asking for money, he’d be gone. I think it only lasted a couple of summers.
My favorite treats were fudgicles and ice cream sandwiches. Our Otter Pops were called Mr. Freeze. The plastic tube edges would cut the corners of your mouth!
My sister, who lives in the neighborhood we grew up in, said there is currently an ice cream truck that makes the rounds.

My favorite treat was and still is a soft serve cone dipped in that hard cover, preferably cherry but will take chocolate if that was all they had. Nowadays I like my ice cream in a cup and I haven’t had the energy or the will to chase down a truck in decades.

The ice cream vendor in my neighborhood uses one of those GEM electric carts with a freezer on that back. She always shows up at the neighborhood park when youth soccer practice is finishing up. I don’t remember what song she plays, but I am pretty sure it’s not Turkey in the Straw.

We have an ice cream truck come thru the neighborhood on a somewhat frequent basis. My guess is that it comes thru every day & either I’m not home or in a part of the house that doesn’t hear it. It’s the kind that has premade, wrapped novelties, not a Mr. Softee soft serve.

I also go to an event that has a 1950’s Good Humor truck parked in the vendor area. Don’t know if he drives thru neighborhoods or only drives to events & it’s just a unique food truck. Unlike most food trucks, he’s on the outside to access the frozen compartment doors.

When I left school in the late 50s, I had a job selling ice cream in South Wales. Back then, most people did not have a freezer, so it was a profitable business. I did it for two summers and a winter. The first Summer I worked the housing estates. I used to drive a route through the houses with the tune playing, and then go back to the start so that the kids had time to get it together.

It was a highly competitive business and some of those estates had several vans on Saturdays and Sundays. I offered a little extra - single cigarettes, a blob of ice cream on a wafer for kids who only had a penny (or sometimes no money), and turning up at around the same time each day.

I was paid commission and it was probably the best-paying job I ever had in my life. I was given a beach the second Summer, which meant arriving early, before the holidaymakers and staying put all day. As a teenager, having to sell ice cream to a succession of girls in bikinis, it was a tough time, but I got through it.