ID this book - historical fiction/time travel

I recall this book (which I have not read, btw) being mentioned on the boards, however I don’t remember enough of the post to be able to search for it.

A female lawyer finds herself transported back to ancient Greece or Rome. The book details her experiences there. Several posters commented that they found the main character excessively whiney. That is all I remember of the discussion

Google brought up A.D. 62: Pompeii by Rebecca East, but the heroine isn’t an attorney.

Household Gods by Harry Turtledove.

The protagonist is a whiney little bitch but the story itself was enjoyable. I’d recommend it.

I read that one! I didn’t think the gal was exactly whiney, but she had over-romanticized the past as a “simpler” time. A little on the overbearing side though.

I just recieved that one (Household Gods) from Amazon Marketplace but haven’t yet read it.

How does it compare to Lest Darkness Fall? That’s always been my third favorite time-travel story (after All You Zombies and By His Bootstraps).

There’s no comparison. Heinlein and DeCamp are much better.

You didn’t ask, but another good time travel/historical is Doomsday Book by Connie Willis.

(Off to shop for the other titles mentioned here.) :slight_smile:

For the record, Household Gods was cowritten by Judith Tarr and Harry Turtledove.

It is Household Gods I was thinking of - though A.D. 62 sounds interesting.

I can always count on you guys to help me find the most obscure stuff! :slight_smile:

It’s more realistic, though. DeCamp’s hero is a kind of superman, who knows everything about modern technology and singlehandedly saves the Roman Empire. Turtledove and Tarr’s heroine is, like most of us, a normal person, who has no idea how to invent a printing press, and isn’t really able to convince anyone to radically change their worldview or society.