ID this movie from vague description

Ages ago, I watched a movie, possibly made for TV, that, for some reason, I’ve never been able to forget. Unfortunately, I don’t remember all that much useful information about it either, so I’m not really expecting anyone to recognize it, but I want to give it a go anyway.

Anyway, the movie is about a bunch of probably Californian surfers. It’s divided (if memory serves) into four parts labelled “Swells from the East/North/South/West”. When the movie starts the surfers are young but as the movie progresses they marry, have children and so on.

The main character is the best surfer on the beach, but as he gets older his surfing gets worse. At one point a movie is made about surfers. The main character brings his wife and child to the cinema. There is a sequence about him mentioning how his relaxed style influenced surfers. “But”, the narrator says, “back to the present”. There is a new surfing hero now featured prominently in the movie-in-the-movie.

The climax is the main character going back to the ocean to prove that he’s still able to surf, and basically there’s a showdown between him and the new master surfer.

There’s also a part featuring a schism between surfers and lifeguards (apparently lifeguarding is the new trendy thing to do) and the main character, prior to his married days, wakes up on the beach and chides one of his old surfer buddies for turning lifeguard.

That’s basically what I remember about this film. Does anything I’ve said ring any bells or make any sense to anyone?

The only surfing I do is on the net. But out there I can “hang ten” with the “dudes” and the “hoo-daddies” and …
Okay, enough with the pseudo-surf lingo.
The movie might be The Endless Summer 2 (1994). If not, do what I did. Go to the Internet Movie Database, click on “more searches” and scroll down to “word search.” Search for “surfing” under the “Plot” options. You’ll get every review that mentions surfing. (Of course, some will be about surfing the net, which ties in neatly with the start of this post and brings it to a close.)

I took the liberty of posting your question on the IMDB board, and one possibility that resulted was the Big Wednesday (1978). If this is the movie, one of the interesting names in it is a pre-Freddy-Kruger Robert Englund supplying the narration.

By gum, Earl Snake-Hips Tucker, I believe that’s the one. The IMDb boards, you say? I’m going to have to start hanging out there.

Now, to find this film…