Ideas you are surprised no-one has had

Imagine an ‘art’ gallery, well rendered, with many varying rooms and corridors, each room displaying the image files on your hard disk (or a directory of your choice) on their walls.

I tried and tried to learn directx (in C++) in order to implement this idea, but my blasted lazy gene (and the overwhelming complexity of directx) ruined it for me. Now I can barely muster the will power to write an ‘hello world’ program.
I am genuinely surprised that no-one with the obvious directx skills that I know many people have, has had the same idea. (well I have seen a few very basic implementations of it, with low-resolution wolfenstein-quality rooms)

If someone has, please point me to their product/website
Anyway, what ideas are you surprised that no skilled person has had…

I forgot something (which I told myslef I would do at the end of the post)

directx - a huge set of functions and other programming ‘elements’ with direct access to graphics hardware, which allows a programmer to write high-speed 3d applications (games, mostly)

opengl - a rival to directx. Arguably better.
c++ - A programming language.
(for the dopers that don’t know)

(Dill) pickles on pizza.

My mom eats mustard on pancakes (it’s really quite tasty!)

Lobang, supposedly Bill Gates has something like that in his mansion. Additionally, Gates is one of the only folks to claim that his property taxes were too low! (Apparently, the state considers his place so weird, that’s he’s the only one who would want to own it, thus the low value.)

Given the current state of awkwardness in interfaces used for navigation in 3D spaces on a standard personal computer, no wonder your idea didn’t get implemented by anyone.

Walking around an art gallery is supposed to be a pleasant experience. When you have to wrestle with a 5-mouse button and 20 memorized hotkeys on the keyboard, the experience loses its charm. Even when it comes to FPS games, it’s only a very small, dedicated contingent of hardcore gamesplayers who are comfortable navigating the gamespace fluidly – and in their case, they have motivating goals and clearly defined objectives to compel them forwards.

On the other hand, on VR systems installed at a number of university campuses (where the interface for walking around an art gallery simulation is much more natural) one of the first demos that gets implemented is an art gallery.

Game movement has become established enough that it would not be awkward…

left - strafe left, right - strafe right, forward - move forward, back - move back (the keys are there, right on the keyboard) and the mouse is used for altering the direction you are facing.

Simple enough.

Ahhh…the games…there aren’t enough games in a day.

The OP sounds like a more advanced VRML. Ahh, I remember the days of VRML.