Idiot Co-Workers / Peers

keystream, if you have a PC you can set the BIOS password, which will prevent the computer from booting at all unless the password is entered. It can still be defeated, but that requires more computer knowledge than your roommate seems to have.

When you boot your system, look for a message saying “press F1 to enter setup”. It may instead ask you to press DEL, or CTRL-S, or some other key or combination. When the setup program starts, check through the menus until you find the screen where you can set a password.

Laugh hard; it’s a long way to the bank.

Keystream, everyone is supposed to get at least one Roommate From Hell in this lifetime. I see that you’re getting your allotment out of the way early.

At least you’re not likely to marry him.

I feel for you, though, I really do. Sure, the guy has medical problems, but if he’s not taking his medication, that’s HIS fault. As for his parents…you HAVE heard of “enablers”, haven’t you?

Lynn the Packrat

{{Other, more random stuff that bothers me. The tape thing, which you so elegantly described in your last mail. }}

OK, I have to ask…what is this about tape?

Lynn the Packrat

Spill the beans on about “The Noodle Incident” while you’re at it!

–Tim

We are the children of the Eighties. We are not the first “lost generation” nor today’s lost generation; in fact, we think we know just where we stand - or are discovering it as we speak.

Thanx, everybody, I appreciate the support, and the technical advice. One of us is definitely moving out next semester, no worries. Only three weeks left!

BTW, the “tape thing”: Everybody decorates their dorm room with posters, right? Anticipating this, I bought some two-sided tape before I came to school. I didn’t use a whole lot, but somehow, it disappeared really fast. If I was in the room and he asked me, that woulda been one thing, btu going in my desk is a whole nother issue.

Oh, the Noodle Incident was my fault. I don’t really like to talk about that one. . .

Oh, and I re-read my post again, I noticed a reference to the music situation. I have these headphones with a 10-foot cord. They’re cheap, $15 at Radio Shack, but they sound really good…Nova42 model, I highly recommend them. Anyway, since I have functioning headphones and he doesn’t, guess who always has to plug the headphones in when there’s a conflict of interest (say, He wants to listen to Man-O-War and I wanna listen to some real music, say Soul Coughing). So that’s the “headphone situation.”

He’s rich, stupid and drunk? Sounds like a perfect candidate for an first husband to me! Let me at him!

John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt. That’s my name too.
Wait, no it isn’t.

AzRaek - You anywhere near DC? He could move in with you!

I had one when I worked in receiving in K-mart years ago. He liked to twist open the tops of jellies and smell them, then reseal them and send them out to the floor. I had to catch the little shit at it and tell him that the contents, once sealed, were sterile and opening them meant that they’d go bad on the shelf, someone would buy and eat the stuff and get really, really sick and might die. I caught another one making himself a hiding place in the paper towel stacks in the storage loft – right in the center of the boxes where he could not be seen. (I made a habit of crawling over the TOPS of the boxes to check for such places – and caught him not only smoking in there but crushing his smokes out of the wooden floor! Talk about a fire hazard!

What? Me worry?’

keystream - where in DC is you? I’d email, but your addy isn’t available…

“Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.” - George Carlin

i think you should force him to move out if he doesnt do some shaping up. somethings you described pushed the limit a little too much!

Chief’s Domain - http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~ravi