Idiot fuckin' cops

This sounds a lot like dumb luck to me.

From here

According to the article, four out of five (I like to reduce fractions when possible) car chases do not need to happen. YMMV

Wait a sec. Why the high speed chase if he can be caught with a radio call?

You might be surprised how often dumb luck plays a role in law enforcement. In many cases, these kinds of people self-select for capture by the very act of doing something dumb, like running when they don’t need to.

What’s appalling? The likelihood causing major injury. Even if the only likely injuries are to the perpetrator - a proposition that’s far from what often happens. I see no difference between this and the cops beating the shit out of a guy in the interrogation room. It is use of an unjustifiable level of force.

Did we read the same article? Ten police officers and six bystanders were injured. Some of the police officers were seriously injured (unless getting shot in the back doesn’t count, somehow?)

I’m not a handgun expert, but don’t you have to be fairly close to pull off a headshot successfully? Unless you’re Jack Bauer, that’s kind of hard to do when the other guys are spraying armor piercing bullets from automatic weapons.

[Sean Connery]It’s just a drop in the ocean…[/SC]

Then we can certainly rely on them to do something else dumb in a relatively short period of time, no? So if the pursuee isn’t known to be violent, then there’s no reason to dramatically increase the chances of injuring anyone (the perp, the cop, or the bystander) in order to apprehend him. There’s also no reason to increase the chances of destroying valuable public property (such as a police crusier) - property that may be more valuable than the price that can be put on the perp’s crime(s).

Easy. You ask people. This is something West Coast cops never chose to do. In the sixties they just looked at the whole situation as “we vs. them,” and bought a lot of equipment.

Not all police forces go “paramilitary.” Some police forces have cops who actually live where they work, or at least who have some kind of connection to the place where they work. They accomplish much more by talking to people than carrying heavy weapons. Of course, it’s very dangerous work, and I don’t blame 'em for wanting to have that back up, but in California, it seems they’ve forgotton how to just talk to the community, rely sole on force. In the case of the 120 rounds shot at the unarmed man (it was the Sherifs, as it happened in Compton, not the police), they thought he was a suspect of reported gunfiring. The guy was acutally just some joker that everyone in the neighborhood knew, who was high on crank, and driving around playing his car stereo real loud. (They’d put up stop sticks, but for some reason as yet unknown, they tried to stop him otherwise before he got to them.) The thing is, before they fired upon him, everyone standing around watching said, “Don’t shoot him! Don’t shoot him!” So what did they do? They shot at him. 120 times. If the guy had really been that dangerous, he probably wouldn’t have had that much public support. They just ignored the public they claim to be serving.

It’s a known phenomenon (I can’t remember the term, but I think it’s in the LA Times article about Baca) when there are a lot of cops surrounding a single suspect, they are much more likely to overuse their weapons. It happened to that guy in New York who was just taking out his wallet. It happened to that 13-year-old boy who had joy-ridden and his car backed into an empty patrol car (come on, you’re supposed to fire to protect people, not cars).

That bank robbery where the guys had so much fire power (it was in North Hollywood, not West Hollywood) was an anomaly. If I were a cop, it sure would have me upset. But that doesn’t mean they can’t communicate more with the public. There’s one cop in central L.A. who does that, and he has complete public support. He was running for City Council, and I don’t know if he won. He probably did.

I guess they should call for back up when they don’t know what the situation is, but it seems they hang around long after unnecessarily. I came home once to find four patrol cars in front of my house. I asked a neighbor what was going on, and she said it was a drunk driver. The guy was already in the back seat of a patrol car, and yet all these cops were just standing around talking to each other.

Uncle Beer
Regarding your posting #14. I stand corrected. Also your correcting my error was done very courteously.

Sometimes, SDMB discussions (in any category and not just the Pit) can get heated and someone will say things such as “you Dubya bashers look for any excuse to bash him, and maybe you dumbass liberals should check your facts first, etc.”

Rather ironic that Pit behavior on many occassions can be more polite than other SDMB categories.

Okay. That’s all. Carry on. Everything’s fine. Nothing to see here. :slight_smile:

Oh, man…read my link again…the police were up against:

That’s THOUSANDS of rounds fired from automatic weapons and they were wearing body armor. For all intents and purposes, that was an “Army of Two”.

As for aiming at the perp’s face…seriously, you think that a cop is gonna get a close enough shot with a handgun or shotgun with that much firepower going against him and calmly place one between the eyes?

One officer did get lucky…

Another link.

There are specifics about how outgunned they were and you can also watch the quicktime movie and hear the auto-fire…sounds similar to some other place in the Middle East.

If it happened before, I can see why a cop would be on edge when he’s chasing someone, not knowing what was in the car.

I see… Just stick their head in the window of the fleeing vehicle and inquire. How do you propose they do that? Seems to me that it would require magic. I don’t believe in magic. I don’t believe you’ve thought that reply through, either.

As for the rest of your post… I could deconstruct it, but frankly, I won’t bother - You seem to be replying mostly to others anyway.

OK, I am partly wrong. :smack: “One of the wounded officers was in serious condition, Williams said”. The rest of those injured were not “serious” and AFAIK, most were hurt by broken glass, not bullets. Still, both perps were killed, and no one else was. Sure- "thousands of rounds were fired’- but they didn’t do much besides scare dudes.

Indeed, as I said- if YOU are being shot at (which I have been) it IS very difficult to “be cool” and aim carefully. But even though they had automatic weapons, those perps were covered on 4 sides by dozens of cops, some of which must have had a clear minute or two.

I can- with a .45 or a .357 - hit a face sized target at 50’ 5 times out of six. Admitedly, not while being shot at. Besides, body armour doesn’t protect the legs, thighs, arms, etc.

Can’t link it, but the Chris Rock show did a wonderful bit on “How To Not Get Your Ass Kicked By The Police”. Although it was quite humorous, it spoke many truths.

obey the law
use common sense
stop immediately
turn that shit off
be polite
shut the fuck up

and others.

When folk do that-bingo. No more chases.

However- this is the USA. We don’t have to shut up. It’s in the Bill of Rights. And, we shouldn’t have to be so afraid of our own police that we do shut up.

It’s nice to be polite. But we shouldn’t have to be afraid of a beating or a bogus arrest just for being rude.

I’d prefer not to have to wait for people to obey those rules before police stop killing innocent people with reckless high-speed persuits.

Of course, not. I was speaking in general. With a fleeing vehicle, you’re right, they have no choice.

In that case, we’re in agreement.

Yes, they do have a choice. The police shoudl embark on a high speed chase only in th esame types of circumstances where they’d pull out their guns and start shooting. In other words- fleeing felons and such. Not traffic violations. High Speed chases are far too dangerous for everyone- including the public not being chased- to allow police to engage in without a 'clear and present danger".

Unfortunately, when the criminal element becomes aware of the standard that they will not be pursued, and they will not have their ass kicked, then what is their incentive to obey a law enforcement officer? Simon Says?

You could always reply to my post. You know the one. You quoted part of it in your reply to it. Most of these chases are for traffic violations. I would really like to know how a busted taillight or out of date plate justifies a potentially fatal car chase.

FYI, possible getting lucky and crashing into a hard core felon is not adequate justification for the potential lives lost, property damage, etc.