If countries import live cattle from say Australia, can they call the beef they sell "Australian"?

If countries such as China import live cattle from say Australia, can they call the beef they sell “Australian beef”?

If you go yo Asian markets and you buy something labeled Australian or American beef, I wonder if that beef is actually imported or are the cattle or their descendants bred and slaughtered in those importing countries? I look forward to your feedback.
davidmich

That’s going to depend on the product-labelling laws of the importing country.

(I suspect very few countries – if any – import live beef from Australia, but several Muslim countries import live sheep/lambs from Australia, so that the animals can be slaughtered in a halal way. Muslims don’t each so much beef, so the issue doesn’t come up so much with beef.)

Muslims don’t eat so much beef? :dubious::dubious:

Who the hell told you that.

I thought they mostly ate lamb/mutton. But thanks, I stand corrected.

This is the problem and the reason for the recent court decision.

If the cattle originated in Canada, even if slaughtered in the USA, they are “Canadian beef”. Before mad cow disease, there was a very busy cross-border trade. After all, the US-Canada border is pretty artificial and the same sort of farms exist on each side. The USA is a bigger market and has more slaughterhouses.

There hasn’t been any cases of mad cow in the news for years; yet the US government has decided that all meat should be labelled as to country of origin, even if “processed” in the USA. Canadian farmers think this is a result of lobbying by US farmers to keep prices up.

If beef needs to be correctly labelled the slaughterhouses would need a separate production line for Canadian products or some fancy way of tracking when the stream of meat from a US carcass ends and the Canadian meat begins on the assembly line. The cows have to be kept segregated and tracked all the way through. The bits that turn into hamburger even have to be kept separate. You can’t import cows to the US and then fatten them up unless you keep track of which in your herd are Canadian.

Fines for messing up are significant, so effectively this means it’s cheaper, simpler and less hassle to not import Canadian cattle. As usual, non-tariff import regulations are a tool to prevent competition, masquerading as a “health concern” - screwing the consumer while claiming it’s about “giving the consumer a choice”.

So yes, source of the livestock matters at least with US rules.

Australia is “the world’s leading exporter of high-quality live cattle”. Beef cattle are exported to Qatar, Egypt, Israel, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Jordan, the Palestian territories, Mauritius, Kuwait, Mexico, China, India, Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Singapore, and the USA, and breeding stock to Israel, Kuwait, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, India, Philippines, Singapore, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Brunei, New Caledonia, USA, and Mexico.

Not in my opinion, which has nothing to do with the legalities of the representation. Australian beef implies that the finished market product is produced under the conditions that would reflect Australian standards, as well as growing and feeding conditions that prevail in Australia. “Beef” is not an animal, it is a market product. A cow is an animal.

However, the truth is not arrived at through reason and logic, but through lawyers and litigation.

Are you suggesting that “Australian beef” might come from an animal that had never been in Australia at any time?

Relative to western states, the inhabitants of Muslim-majority states don’t eat much meat of any kind. Of course, this probably has less to do with religion than other factors.

Are these cattle imported from Australia only used for milk/beef production? Are they imported for breeding purposes, and if so, is the meat produced from the descendants of these cattle still deemed “Australian” or will it be deemed “Chinese” for example?
davidmich