If drafted to serve in Iraq or the Middle East would you go?

Fragging is pretty effective

?

Are you suggesting he joins the Army to shoot/kill fellow Americans that hold NCO or officer ranks?

That sounds like truly aweful advice.

Was this a non-obvious whoosh?

Jim

It’s not just the organization you are part of, it’s the country you (and I) are part of. So we are all in this together. That’s the greatness of democracy. We’re a nation of laws, even if we don’t agree with all of them.

And thanks, Airman D , for doing what is right.

While I agree with airman doormans post in general, one of the rights of americans is to hold our leaders accountable, it is in fact our duty to question, and challenge them. having voted against the people that made the war, and having protested it before it began I feel no obligation to fight it now. An obligation to my fellow citizens, to the ideals of america, to the servicemen, yes, but not to oil profits, or republican asendancy. if american sovereignty became threatened that would be different. having said that, as an er nurse, I would probably go and ply my trade. I would have no reservations about nursing in iraq, although I might get nailed for caring for the enemy.

forgive my crummy punctuation, i’ve broken a rib, and economy of motion is paramount

State != Society

And IMHO != Great Debates. Please give your answer to the question at hand and move on. If you wish to debate the morality of a draft, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum.
Thank you.

If I received a draft notice, I would find the best constitutional lawyer I could, fight being enlisted, and hopefully my case would end up before the Supreme Court, where we would finally resolve the question of “can the Federal government conduct a draft without a congressional declaration of war?”

Sez Cecil, in Is the draft forbidden by the 13th Amendment?

1. I am saying what I would do - personally I would advize anyone with sons to ship them elsewhere.

2. Sometimes killing idiots saves lives. Not that I consider life particularly valuable, but if I found myself with a bunch of young’uns I would not find it an ethical quandary.

My views were formed by relics from 1945, I inherit their attitudes.

We have been fed a lot of propaganda.

Only if my going would keep my son from having to go.

Given this, I’ll just register my agreement with Steve MB’s distinction; if folks want an elaboration on that distinction (as well as on the nature of permissible repayments for a debt), they’ll need to look for it elsewhere, I guess.

Daniel

I’m 21, openly gay, suffered from epilepsy as a child, get migraines, overweight, and had my kneecap rebuilt last spring. For me to be drafted the Army would have to seriously lower it’s standards. For me to even be willing to serve several conditions would need to be met; the homeland would need to be facing an actual invasion (or 2nd Civil War, but who’s to say I’d side with the gov’t :wink: ), I would not hide my orientation or abstain from sexual activity anymore than hetersexual soldiers must, any partner I may have would need every single right and benefit given to spouses of military personal, and my freedom of speech would need to remain intact (ie I’d need to be able to publically say whatever I whatever I want about POTUS or anyone else in the chain of command with consequences no more severe than I’d get for critizing a civilian employer). If the President (or SecDef, SecState, etc) wants a photo op I’d need to have the freedom to not shake their hand and if they chose to speak to me to tell them exactly what I think about them or their policies :mad: . Oh and if I’m expected to call someone “sir” or “ma’am” on a regular basis they’d better address me as sir too.

Pentagon to alphaboi867: Don’t call us, we’ll call you. :wink:

Me to Airman Doors: Well said, and thank you for your service to our country.

Well, they shot Eddie Slovak.

I’m too old to get drafted but I wouldn’t go anyway. I’m already in Minnesota, it would be a piece of cake to get to Canada.

I don’t feel like I “owe” my country anything and even if I did, what the hell does Iraq have to do with protecting the country?

Since the way the Bush administration is dealing with enlistment shortfalls is to force former soldiers back into the ranks, I could actually be drafted to go to Iraq. And I’d go. I think Iraq is a better option than prison. My ex has been twice so far and come back in one piece both times. He just left for his third time, this time for no less than a year. It’s getting so that I am rather nonchalant about it.

If Japan were invaded, I would serve to protect my new home.

America? When I left back in 1995, I planned to come back someday. The past few years, however, have made it clear that it just ain’t my country anymore. A draft attempt would simply be the final good-bye note.