If I say Toll House cookies, what do you think?

I picture chocolate chip cookies made with margerine instead of real butter. No idea why - is that int he bag recipe?

Still good, but nothing like the real thing. . .

Try using the same recipe, but as a bar in a cookie sheet. Same great taste, thicker!

It’s like Elaine with the sponges–“I’ll take two…yeah, five oughta do the trick…twelve, yeah, twelve sounds right…oh, just go ahead and give me the whole case”.

I think of big, thick chocolate chip cookies, specifically, served warm and chewy.

My sister cuts the amount of sugar slightly and ends up with a cakier cookie.

I tend to use a little more brown sugar and a little less white so that I end up with a moister, chewier texture.

“Toll House” means the recipe off the yellow bag. A “chocolate chip cookie” recipe could be anything, but the Toll House recipe is that one specific recipe.

That aside, the toll house recipe is improved by using half butter and half margarine, and half baking soda and half baking powder. And double the vanilla.

I’d like a cookie too, please.

eta: TruCelt, according to this website, butter only http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=18476

Oooh yum! I may just make half the batch that way next time.

(And I always put aside just enough dough to make two small cookies without either chocolate or nuts, just so my two dogs can have a cookie.)

Or make a million dollar pie (the first one; never heard of those pineapple & milk concoctions).

Sales of chocolate chips have just gone up.

Thirdwarning’s job is done!

:frowning: If only we lived closer. I have actually thought about making them as a brownie this way. (No, truth be told, I have tried it, but they were burnt on the edges and gooey in the middle.)

It means that you used the recipe on the bag. Dammit, now I want to run to the store and buy a bag of chocolate chips to bake some.

Want Christmas cookies? Cut the vanilla in half. Add 2-3 tsp mint flavoring and a squirt of green food dye. You have mint chip cookies.

They make up faster than most Christmas cookies.

I’d think of cookies made with that particular recipe that aren’t as good as the kind we usually make.

I think of Phoebe Buffay.

It makes me think of the ads for Nestle chocolate chips and the recipe on the back of the bag. But it’s not the recipe I use for chocolate chip cookies, and I don’t buy Nestle chips, so I don’t really know much about that version.

Has anyone made the original version of the cookie she was trying to make? Wasn’t she supposed to melt the chocolate first and stir it in? (In a short cut, she chopped up the chocolate into pieces and thought they would melt while baking, but serendipity happened; Nestle later introduced the chocolate as chips). What does the melted chocolate version taste like?

I think of a candle-lit bedroom, a glass of milk for dipping, evlkitty sprawled out naked on the bed under a layer of soft chocolate chip cookies, and ICP’s Cotton Candy playing softly on the stereo.

yep.

Sometimes, Inigo, I want to live in your world. Today is one of those days.

I think chocolate chip cookie, because that’s the kind I like best. And my recipe is off a really old bag, and it did include nuts. When you bake them in a 9x13 pan and cut into bars, they are Marble Squares. I think that name also came from a really old bag, because that’s what I’ve called them all my life (52 years) and mom only used recipes…she didn’t get creative.

Nowadays I use pecans or walnuts, whatever is handy, but I toast them first. I love thin, crisp cookies, so the Toll House recipe is just fine.

Now I’m really, really hungry for a cookie…

Moving thread from IMHO to Cafe Society.