If I was king of baseball

Not commissioner. King. No dissent, no risk of losing my job. Absolute authority to change and run the game anyway I want. I would make some changes. Yes, yes I would.

Don’t get me wrong. I love baseball. It is probably my favorite sport and one of the few sports I will gladly watch when I don’t have a rooting interest. That said, nothing is totally perfect. So in an effort to make baseball more perfect here are the changes I would make immediately. (assume that anything not mentioned is fine the way it is.)

1. eliminate inter league play during the regular season

2. set up separate rules commissions for the NL and AL and get them operating like individual leagues again.

3. create fully balanced play schedules. Each team in the NL plays all the other team in the NL the exact same number of times. Same for AL. This may require additional teams or contracting teams. I’m open to suggestions.

4. shorten the season by several games in order to

5. eliminate the playoffs as we know the and replace them with a knockout Cup Tournament that plays concurrently with the regular season. The World Series will have no playoff games. The team with the best record in the NL will play the best team in the AL. Winner take all. (I might be able to be talked into keeping 2 divisions per league and having a single series divisional playoff.)

5a) the games for this tournament would be played on the last week of every month April until October with the last game being the final. Seeding for the tournament is based off the previous year’s standings and all teams play. Each series is 3 games long for the first 3 series, 5 games for the next 3 and the final is a 7 game series.

1. introduce a skills competition to the Allstar game. (which will also be more interesting as a whole due to the lack of interleague play)
    I probably have more ideas. I will post as they come to me.

What would you do if you were king (or queen) of baseball?

Restore all no-hitters that went the regulation 9 innings.
Credit Galarraga with a perfect game. If MLB can reverse no-hitters from decades past(see above), that should have been corrected by the next day.

Like the OP, eliminate interleague play.
Eliminate playoffs unless there’s a tie for best W-L in the league.
NL pennant winner meets AL pennant winner in the World Series as God intended.

1. A minimum of 10% of all games must be “quiet games” with no walk-up music, no between-inning entertainment, nothing on the PA except announcing the next batter. Nice, quiet, relaxing day at the ballpark.

2. if Interleague play is continued (I’m intrigued by the idea of eliminating it), play by the DH rules of the visiting team. This is an idea everyone is in favor of, but for unknown reasons, has not been implemented.

3. Require at least four pitches for intentional walks.

4. Scruffy beards are outlawed.

5. West coast night games start at 6:10 instead of 7:10 p.m.
    I’ll be back with more later.

You won’t need that because the DH goes bye-bye.
Absolutely bring back the four pitch intentional walk.

The rules shouldn’t extend to personal grooming. That should be up to each team.

You get one free step-out per at-bat. One.

Stand in there and take your cuts, dammit.

Sorry, I’m King of Baseball. The King makes the rules.

According to the OP, we’re all King Of Baseball.

It’s good to be King.

While we’re at it, the damned strike zone goes from armpit to top of the knees. And it stays there.

After a bloodless coup, I will declare myself the new King and re-establish the playoffs. I love the postseason. I might keep the ban on interleague play, though. Also, I would create defensive and offensive all-star teams for each league. Some players might be on both, but players like Andrelton Simmons and Kevin Kiermaier would also have their day in the sun.

I love this idea.

[ol]
[li]Any fan caught participating in the wave will be removed and banned from the stadium for a year. Instigators will be tarred and feathered, followed by a lifetime ban.[/li][li]A less subjective rule will be implemented for check swings. I’m king, so I don’t have to be the one who comes up with it. But it will be clear, and everyone will know exactly when a swing is not successfully checked. Appeals to first/third will be unnecessary, and any player requesting such an appeal will be tarred and feathered, followed by a lifetime ban. This will be known as the Miguel Cabrera Rule.[/li][li]Game reporters will be barred from asking any question that could reasonably lead to the answer, “I was just looking for a good pitch to hit” or its variants. Any reporter violating this rule will be subject to a lifetime ban. Any player who responds with such an answer will be tarred and feathered, and will have to play his next game in that condition.[/li][/ol]

To be clear, this means that a team could be mathematically eliminated from the championship, a fraction of the way through the regular season, correct? Once that happens, what are they trying for?

Disband the Yankees. And the Red Sox. Because fuck 'em, that’s why.

New rule: if players insist on pointing to the heavens after successfully putting the ball in play, they must also wear harem pants. And pigtails.

They can still play to get into the world series at the end of this year or for seed positions for the cup next year. If it’s decided that divisions are kept then playing to win their division.

Eliminate the bench clearing brawls.

If a batter wants to punch out the pitcher, let them at it.

This would be entertaining.

And eventually, they will learn not to do it.

NAF’s Rules: 1) eliminate inter league play during the regular season
Love this idea, don’t like interleague play.

NAF’s Rules: 2) set up separate rules commissions for the NL and AL and get them operating like individual leagues again.
That’s fine but I don’t think it is that big of a deal.

NAF’s Rules: 3) create fully balanced play schedules. Each team in the NL plays all the other team in the NL the exact same number of times. Same for AL. This may require additional teams or contracting teams. I’m open to suggestions.
I like the old unbalanced schedule where you play division rivals more often.

NAF’s Rules: 4 & 5) shorten the season by several games in order to eliminate the playoffs as we know the and replace them with a knockout Cup Tournament that plays concurrently with the regular season. The World Series will have no playoff games. The team with the best record in the NL will play the best team in the AL. Winner take all. (I might be able to be talked into keeping 2 divisions per league and having a single series divisional playoff.)
I hate this idea, Baseball > Soccer. I like the long series. Though I would eliminate the Wild Card maybe 3rd divisions and get back to just a 7 game play off series followed by World Series.

NAF’s Rules: 5a) the games for this tournament would be played on the last week of every month April until October with the last game being the final. Seeding for the tournament is based off the previous year’s standings and all teams play. Each series is 3 games long for the first 3 series, 5 games for the next 3 and the final is a 7 game series.

NAF’s Rules: 6) introduce a skills competition to the Allstar game. (which will also be more interesting as a whole due to the lack of interleague play)
Why and what skills? The Home Run Derby is already silly enough and I could live without.

Jim’s Rules: a) No more stepping out of the box between pitches and a strict time between pitching. Speed the damn game back up. If pitcher exceeds time call it a ball, or if you really wan’t to push it a balk.

Jim’s Rules: b) Expand the roster to 27 in exchange for some concession for more thourough testing for Steroids and similiar drugs. I’m thinking blood samples that can be retained. Lets have a bench again and try to clean up the game even more.

Jim’s Rules: b.2) Limit pitching staffs to 13 max. Again to ensure we have benches again.

Keep the unbalanced schedule. I know it helps ESPN get more Red Sox/Yankees games but it really is good for a couple of reasons.

1. It makes it easier for fans to follow. Late starts for east coast teams out west or vice versa make it hard for the majority of fans who work business hours.

2. It makes it easier to reschedule a game, especially earlier in the season. In a large part of the country, the weather can be questionable from April until mid May or so. This spring, Chicago saw quite a few days with just awful cold soaking rains and wind. It’s easy enough to postpone a Cubs/Brewers or White Sox/Tigers game utnil later in the season, especially if the weather looks bad for the following day and who wants a day/night double header on April 22, a weekday, anyway?

Re skills competitions

I like it BECAUSE it’s potentially silly. Having it be genuinely competitive like the revamped home run derby (which I think is great) would be fun too.

I would like to see 90 foot sprint races. Pitching to hit increasingly smaller targets. Hitting to a ball off a pitching machine with increasing super human velocity. Catcher pop time races. All sorts of stuff that players will absolutely hate but would be fun to watch.

As to why, because it would be fun. Baseball needs a better sense of humor.

Re: replacing playoffs with two different trophy (really 3 because the pennant would be more meaningful too) competitions.

I expected this would be my least liked rule. Before you dismiss it out of hand though…

You still have the world series and probably Nlcs and Alcs games.

You gain a second “anything can happen” series where it is possible that (for example) this year’s Giants team might be going deep because they would have a high seed. This gives their fans something to root for. Maybe they win it all by really focusing on the second tournament. I feel like they could have a totally different 25 man roster (same 40 man though) so they can work in prospects and whatnot. Also this tournament would be interleague so you get those once a month.

You have fewer regular season games so each series means more again, but not many fewer so luck still flattens out and you actually get about the same amount of baseball all told.

Just think about it a bit.

Re stepping out and pitch clocks.

Put these rules in place in the minor leagues up to Aaa. But not in MLB.

Fewer rules is better for me in the bigs. By the time they are in the majors people won’t have enough these bad habits as tics.

I like the idea of expanding the roster to 27. I’m adding it to my baseball kingdom.