If Johnny Cash shot a man in Reno, why was he in a CA prison?

What if he shot him in Reno, and then the guy staggered over the border to California, and the he followed him, just to watch him die? Who gets to try him then?

I like pravnik’s better. He shot the guy in Reno just to watch him die. but the guy was taking too long to die, and he realized that he was late for an appointment (birthday party, root canal, job interview, I dunno; make up your own appointment) in California. So he loaded him into the car and drove to the other side of the lake.

Depends on how the law is written. At common law, jurisdiction lies in the place where the fatal force impinges on the body (there’s a 1859 case where a guy shot in New York and died in New Jersey), but modern stautes usually say that if any element of the crime occurred there, the state has jurisdiction. Some states have statutes like the following from New York, which I lifted from an old thread:

So theoretically, both states could have jurisdiction.

All three at once.

If a rooster lays an egg on the peak of a roof, which way does it roll?

:smiley:

I remember Johnny saying that, when he wrote that line, he wanted to come up with the absolute worst possible reason to kill somebody. “Just to watch him die” is what came out.

All Music asserts that he wrote the song while in the Air Force during the Korean War. He left the Air Force in '54.

My favorite song on At Folsom Prison is Cocaine Blues. He gets the inmates so worked up, they sound like they are ready to bust out of the place.

If you were standing in California and shot a man in Reno, you’d have to be using artillery. It’s close, but not that close.

So Johnny Cash also didn’t take a shot of cocaine and shoot his woman down?

Dang.

If you were in Fresno, wouldn’t you shoot yourself instead?

I did time at Folsom - high school to be exact. Back then, the prison was a major employer. Many of my high school buddies fathers were guards. Most were pretty heavy drinkers to be polite about it. Many of the people in my high school ended up as either guards or inmates.

The address of Folsom prison is actually a town called “Represa California.” I’ve been inside the “gated” community of Represa many a time. Heck, that’s where we stored the homecoming float so other grades couldn’t sabatoge it since you have to get in through a guarded gate and it is technically part of the prison.

There is no escaping modern life, Folsom prison now has a mission statement:

Folsom State Prison - Mission Statement

California’s second oldest prison, Folsom primarily houses Level II and Level III inmates. In addition, it has a minimum security unit. At Folsom, a walled perimeter encompasses five general population cell blocks and an Administrative Segregation Unit. This portion of the prison includes one of the state’s best-known prison industries, the license plate factory.

Mark Shepherd, Warden (A)
300 Prison Road
Represa, CA 95671

Longest stagger since the “Baatan Death March”! It would be all uphill, too!

Maybe he shot the deputy?

No, he shot the sheriff… but he didn’t shoot the deputy.

Wow, Johnny Cash was really Bob Marley. It true, you never saw them together, and they *are * both dead…

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
None but ourselves can free our minds.
Have no fear for atomic energy,
’cause none of them can stop the time.
And let that cocaine BEEEEEE!

And I’ve seen Johnny Cash’s house halfway between Montego Bay & Ocho Rios in…Jamaica!
Seriously.

I always thought he shot a Californian and hit the guy in his Renal. This thread sure put that to rest.

:cue reggae music:

“I fell into a burning ring of fire, mon…” (Background: A yo yo yo)