If my eyes got knocked out of their sockets,

and the optic nerve and other “connections” were not severed, would I still be able to see? Are the “connections” long enough for me to hold my eyes with my fingers and look around?

Nope. Full retinal detachment causes blindness.

Here’s a Slate Explainer article on the topic: http://www.slate.com/id/2137959/

• Except in comic books and cartoons.

Why do you think retinal detachment is an inevitable consequence of ocular dislocation?

A related question, how long is the optic nerve and the related blood vessels? If your eye pops out, how far would it be able to go?

barf

I don’t know, I guess I assumed it wouldn’t be too likely for the RPE to pop out. Am I wrong? I’m not a doctor, I just play one on the internet.

I read an article years back about a 1930’s race car driver whose eye popped out in a crash. A doctor lifted the hanging but unharmed eye back into it’s socket using a spoon. IIRC, the driver retained his vision.

You’ll have to push them back in
with a stick or something.

No don’t do that! You’ll end up pokin’ an… Well, I guess that’s the point.

Yes, you can find the correct stick here, right between the Stevens Tenotomy Scissors and the Tyrell Iris Hook.

Proptosis of the globe is a very common injury in dogs, especially brachycephalic dogs (pugs, shih tzus etc). Typically it involves trauma (hit by car, hanging, etc) but it can happen from exuberant restraint as well. IME, the majority of dogs retain vision if the injury is addressed quickly. Damage to the extra ocular muscles sometimes leaves the eye pointing the wrong way (strabismus), but there are procedures to fix this problem.

Okay, what’s that from? I seem to remember Joe Flaherty saying that.

:eek:

Happened to my family’s Shih-Tzu while he was in a kennel over a weekend (we were on vacation). When they found him, they popped the eye back into place, and sewed his eyelids shut over that eye to protect it. A few weeks later, they removed the stitches and while he had a noticeable haze in that eye, he could see out of it. As he aged the haze got steadily worse and eventually he was probably totally blind out of that eye.

Corneas do not like dessication. Try going without blinking for 5 minutes. Keeping the cornea moist until surgical intervention happens can minimize sequelae.

Yes, but only after the eye was put back in. An eye out of it’s socket sees nothing, except perhaps some light.

Is that because it’s no longer surrounded by focusing muscles, etc.?

And other reasons, but yes.