[QUOTE=Charger]
On the farm where I grew up, I remember getting a long lecture when I accidentally startled a cow which then kicked at me and injured her leg. Actually, it was a lot more harsh than a “lecture,” I was yelled at for a long time. I was told to treat the cows with absolute respect because that kind of injury could permanently injure the leg, shortening the cow’s life, and rendering the meat from that area useless.
So, when I see that kind of footage, I think of how unprofessional they are behaving. It is wasteful. I liken it to a banker lighting cash on fire to keep warm, or because it’s so cool looking. So, the mistreatment of animals is financially unwise. Not only is animal abuse cruel, it’s a costly mistake.
[/QUOTE]
A better analogy would be to bankers piling up stacks of money in great proximity to one another instead of giving each bill room to breathe–which, of course, they do.
Look, very few farmers are going to go out of their way to cause suffering to animals when it’s not necessary, nobody’s claiming that. In your example, your startling the cow served no financial purpose.
But that’s not what we’re talking about. We’re talking about causing suffering to the animals in order to achieve financial gain–for example, crowding animals into pens much more closely than they’d naturally be in the wild, or confining sows in a single position from which they can’t move for weeks at a time. This type of action increases both suffering and profit, and it seems pretty uncontroversial to me that this is true.
And, again, the folks who are attacked with such undercover video don’t deny that it was made at their place. Don’t you think they’d do so if it were faked?
Daniel