If push comes to shove, will Trump hand over the reins to Pence?

I don’t recall ever hearing anything like that.

Forget thee not the many Russian embeds who tell those factions what to do and make the actual plans.

I am reminded of the various machinations by the likes of Goering, Himmler, Speer et al. in Hitler’s last days.

I think if Trump has to be ventilated, Pence will be forced to act. Whether the cabinet will go along is a different question, one I would not hazard a guess about.

Hell, I can almost imagine Barr standing up and declaring that no, the 25th must not be invoked and if anyone supports that, when Don wakes up he’s tellin’!

Y’know, we’ve been hanging around the damn Internet too long, haven’t we…?

I distinctly remember watching Al Haig announcing “I’m in charge here” on live national network TV. That inflamed a lot of people but was meant to be reassuring. That was my first day as a USAF officer on active duty.

Somehow seeing Barr make a similar announcement this week would be chilling; very chilling. Much like Putin before him, Barr understands very clearly that he who controls the police and prosecution controls the country.

It sorta seeps into your brain. And I mostly stick to the family-friendly parts. Mostly.

Moderating

Ew

Let’s keep that out of this forum, please

He could fake a stumble near the wall, “accidently” reach for the ventilator cord to steady himself and unplug it while Karen distracts the doctors with a homemade apple pie.

Wouldn’t it actually be treason to falsify the President’s signature on such a document? Or some kind of illegal, at least.

Not a chance in hell to the first question, and no to the second. I think Pence has presidential ambitions no matter what happens in November, and doing that would alienate Trump fans and make him look power-hungry.

I can certainly see Trump quitting after he loses so that Pence could pardon him. That way he can skip the inauguration too which you know he would hate to go as a loser. He could still be prosecuted for state crimes.

Coup d’Etat, Schmoo d’Etat. Margaret will take care of the signature.

If Alpha Don becomes incapacitated, he will try to stay cogent enough to give instructions through the kids, thus perhaps making Junior the de facto CIC. Sure, the rules say that it has to be the veep but what are rules to Donnie when personal power is at stake?

I wonder what the betting line is on Trump attending Biden’s inauguration, assuming (Zeus willing) that sleepy Joe wins? I would think at least 20% chance he doesn’t show up. It would be higher (like 100%) except that I’m sure he realizes that it would make him seem like even more of loser to skip it.
But he could have a Covid-19 relapse that day if necessary.

Excellent West Wing reference.
Did anyone see the cast and Sorkin on Steven Colbert’s show tonight?

Trump just said he won’t go to inauguration of Biden.

Trump doesn’t acknowledge that a Biden inauguration is a possible thing that can happen (unless by fraudulent election-rigging, of course).

Other than Nixon when was the last living president to not go to swearing in of the next president? Probably a long time , maybe never. Tradition now is the old and new presidents ride together to the capitol. Carter rode with Reagan for example.

Should Biden win there is zero chance Trump will show up for the inauguration. I also doubt Pence would show up either. I doubt anyone would much care.

I have mixed emotions about that. One the one hand, I’d rather not see his face ever again. On the other hand, it might help his followers accept the election.