If "R" rated language had ALWAYS been acceptable on TV...

I know. And while there are a half-dozen “shits” every episode, I feel like they’re holding back. I know a lot of people from Philly and those people love to fucking swear.

And Dr. Johnny Fever would have got fired for saying more than booger on the air.

Oh, you’re wrong. Ricky, putting up with Lucy, would searing up a storm but it would all be in Spanish. THAT would be an education. He lost his English all the time in the first place. Imagine if he cut loose in Cubano Spanish?

I’m not sure how realistic modern swearing would be - I know swearing has gone through some changes over the centuries, and what they actually considered course language in the real 1800s might seem silly to us today. I know in older times ‘shit’ and ‘fuck’ were not all that bad, and ‘oh my God’, ‘goddamnit’, and ‘hell’ were at the top of the ladder, but I think that was further back than old west.

Horse hockey!

Meadow muffins!

They’re fucking swearing a fucking fuckload of fucks in the current season. BTW, there’s a new fucking season, Jabronis.

In Deadwood they deliberately changed the swearing to modern cocksucking-style swears, rather than the blasphemy-oriented swears that were common at the time.

Well, no. Most old western swearing was profanities- taking the Lord’s name in vain.

Gol durn it, goddamn, go to hell, etc:

Certainly Fuck, Shit and Cocksucker are old, but apparently they just weren’t that common in the old west.

Yosemite Sam isnt far off the mark.

I just re-watched that episode, and thought it was hilarious. I’m sure it was deliberate (especially the way McCoy said it), and surprised they got away with it.

McCoy also said the same thing to Spock in Star Trek II: TWOK near the end when he attempted to prevent Spock from entering the radiation-filled chamber. And Karl Urban’s Bones said it to Zachary Quinto’s Spock in the first Star Trek reboot movie.

I’m familiar with the character. But I was thinking of one particular episode where Frank is talking to a crime victim family and says: “Our Belker will take care of you.” And the father says: “What’s a Belker?” Cue Belker who steps forward and says: “I’m a Belker, dogbreath.”

Oh, you’ve got a good memory to remember actual scenes. I’ve got the dvd set, but I haven’t watched much yet.

Crazy People is one of my favorite movies! “Sony. Because Caucasians are too damn tall!”

My first thought was Ralph Cramden (along with Fred Flinstone, naturally). But you also know Dan Fielding would drop F-bombs all the time, and his story telling would be so very crude.

Al Bundy

The whole cast of Roseanne

Carrie Hefferman and Arthur Spooner

The whole Law & Order franchise would have a field day. Image Munch and Finn’s every day conversations.

I think Sergeant Carter would have let loose after one of Gomer’s idiocies on Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. But I’m trying to imagine who would be swearing on The Andy Griffith Show.

The Simpsons is a current show.
mmm

Aunt Bea and Barney, of course.

Oh yeah, Otis.

Nah, the only one who would be swearing on that show would be Opie.