If the SDMB existed 40+ years ago

I said 40+, not just 40. I just picked that number because it’s approximately before Python, which when I think people started to think it funny to say random quotes, and not just catchphrases. What did some people do for laughs before they could just say “it tastes like burning” or “it’s only a flesh wound”?

Every time a moderator waded into a thread, or somebody thought that a moderator was about to wade into a thread, somebody would post:

Here come da Moderator!

It would be funny the first two or three times, and then it would be . . . hi, Opal.

“Heyyy therrrreeee, OPAL glrl…”
I’ll shut up now.

This is easy, Marx Brothers and Bugs as you said but also Get Smart, Beatles in general, Star Trek & the Smothers Brother meet the 40+ years criteria. Laugh-In does not. I wonder if we would get some Hogan’s Heroes quotes?

The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show.

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test just missed as it was published in 1968. Lord of the Rings would already being getting some action but be more obscure. I think On the Road would be quotes and Allan Sherman would show up where Weird Al does now.

Jim

Then someone–and by that I mean me–would be observing that the only true Avengers are in comic books and include a thunder god.

I hear they will be allowing marriage between the whites and the coloreds. Do you agree with that?

Something tells me there’d be a lot of quoting of Marvel comics.

“It’s clobberin’ time!”

“My Spidey-sense is tingling!”

Another quote mine from around then would be The Addams Family.

“You rang?”

“Oh, Tish, you spoke French!”

We’d get a lot of “That is illogical” and “He’s dead Jim” jokes.

Fascinating, I find your logic sound on this one. I too would be quoting small things from the Addams Family and … Loving it!

Will Jon Pertwee live up to Patrick Troughton’s shoes on Doctor Who? (British dopers only)

THE STRAIGHT DOPE
PLANNING TO START FIGHTING IGNORANCE IN FIVE YEARS OR SO
(IT SHOULDN’T TAKE LONG)

strange, I apparently can’t post in all caps anymore…?

Someone would be defending Lost In Space as their favorite SF show.

There’d probably be a thread on “Do you watch Saturday morning cartoons?” and discussions of favorites: 1968 Saturday Morning Cartoons / TVparty!

Amazingly, I cannot find a complete listing of the Hugo nominees (not just winners, and all categories) by year.

I suspect a thread like this might pop up:

Did Grace Slick really name her baby “God”?

Who has seen Barbara Eden’s belly button?

Why hasn’t Liberace ever married?

**Gunsmoke peaked in season 2! (or 4, or 12, or 15)

Bonanza – As good without Pernell Roberts?

Samantha Stevens or Jeannie – who’d win the fight?

Anyone see Sam Rayburn on Meet the Press?

Do Negro rock and roll singers get enough respect?**

And, of course…

Ginger or Mary Ann?

Was Gilligan’s Island on most peoples’ radar before it became a syndication staple?

That bitch will break up the Beatles, mark my words!

Andy Griffith finally in color… so why does it suck now?

It absolutely was.

Poll: Would you go to an integrated school if you had a choice?